ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit and PR application process questions

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jasonuncloned
Newly Registered

Work Permit and PR application process questions

Post by Jasonuncloned » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:56 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a US citizen currently looking into a job opportunity in Toronto, and while I think it is an opporotunity that is "worth the wait", I'm also on a pretty short rope with my current job situation. I'm hoping that I can apply for the Work Permit and get approved within 2 months. I've been reading the CIC website extensively, and forums like this as well. My quesitons that I still have now pertain mostly to timelines and people's actual experiences. I would appreciate greatly hearing from those of you who are US citzens and have gone through the process as I'm guessing your experiences may be more similar to mine vs. someone from another country.

Did you initially get accepted under a Work Permit?

Did NAFTA allow you to forego a HRSDC labor opinion? From what I understand while reading the CIC site guidelines a position qualifying under Appendix 1603.D.1 does not require an HRSDC labor opinion.

How long did it take to get approved for your work permit? I'm going to try and put together the necessary paperwork ASAP, and I'd like to get a rough idea of time frame so I can create a time table for myself.

Were you able to extend your stay by applying for Work Permit extensions?

Did you enter the country on a Work Permit and successfully transition to being accepted for Permanent Residence? I want to make sure that I'm not miss-representing my intent with Imigration and hurting my chances for PR status if I file for Permanent Residency soon after getting a Work Permit and moving.

If you did go from Work Permit to PR status, did you find the process happening any faster because of the existing job, and continuing employment?

Thanks! Any help is greatly appericiated!

CourtneyEM
Newly Registered

Post by CourtneyEM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:56 pm

Americans and Mexicans may be eligible for TN visas (temporary work permits) under NAFTA. To get the ball rolling, your first step is to find a job in Canada.

Here's a good article about work in Canada for American and Mexican professionals.