ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension on slight career diversion

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

EJ

Extension on slight career diversion

Post by EJ » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:36 pm

I have been granted and HSMP about a year ago for a role as an actuarial student. I have since changed jobs and is now working as a developer (for more money). My role requires an actuarial background + is a graduate position. I am also still working with actuaries and am developing the software for their use. Would this cause me problems as I have not followed my "chosen field" to the last letter?

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:51 pm

They will expect to see evidence that you are economically active and you haven't had access to public funds to maintain you. I don't hink you will have a problem.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:11 pm

it doesnt matter whether you are still working in your chosen field. true what Try one says,you just need to economically active. actually thats the beauty of the HSMP as opposed to any of the other visas. you can switch jobs, professions, etc. as and when you please. the employemtn doesnt even have to graduate, skilled.
p.s i thought actuaries are amongst the highest paid pple around

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:26 pm

it doesnt matter whether you are still working in your chosen field. true what Try one says,you just need to economically active. actually thats the beauty of the HSMP as opposed to any of the other visas. you can switch jobs, professions, etc. as and when you please.
f2k, are you sure about this? I thought I remembered reading somewhere on this board that one must be economically active in one's chosen profession within the UK to get the HSMP extension (For some reason, I am unable to find the page using the search features, and could not find reference material on the HO page.)

Does anyone here know:

1. Is this true?
2. What constitutes a profession (i.e., A job such as 'developer' vs. an industry or career such as 'IT')?
3. How 'active' is 'active' (i.e., 20,000 pounds per year vs. 40,000 pounds per year vs. another number). I know this one may seem silly (Your salary is dependent upon your job), however remember that most people got approved on the HSMP via their salary also.

Perhaps if one can find reference to the answers on the HO web page, or another reputable site?

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:57 am

Julia i pretty sure i am right on this one, if you look at the HSMP guidance notes as they talk of 'economic activity' without you having to use public funds

and also looking at Teeboy's post when he got his extension
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 45&start=0

and in as far as being 'active' i dont think ti really matters how much your earning, as long as it is "enough" for you to support yourself and family without any recourse to public funds. so if on your bank statements you can show that your income is not being exceeded by your outgoings you should be okay. another thing is you can in theory apply for an extension even if you are not presently working but can show that you are seriously looking for work, i havent heard of anyone who has managed to do it this way, at the same time i havent heard of anyone who has been refused extension

EJ

Post by EJ » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:28 pm

Does anyone know of someone who was granted an extension on a menial job?

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:24 pm

f2k, thank you for that reference. Very informative. This gives us all more time after we land to find the job of our dreams (What a relief!) :D