ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which route to go down

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yorica
Newly Registered

Which route to go down

Post by yorica » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:36 am

Hi

I've seen some of the assistance you've given out on this forum and I think it's amazing - so I'm hoping you might assist me in this minefield.

Background info - I'm a British citizen living in London, who is a homeowner and a manager in a media company. I've been in a relationship with my Japanese girlfriend since Feb '05 - we met in New Zealand whilst I was travelling around the world - I finished my travels in Aug '05. She then visited me twice before finally applying for a student visa and came to live with me from Jul'06 to Jul '07 whilst see was studying how to become a Japanese language teacher in London. She is now in back in Japan and I will be going over to visit her in Japan for the 1st time - I can't wait!

Anyway I want to go over there fully informed on what our options for the future are. We have talked many times about getting married and having children - so I can envisage a bright future together - I hope!

She still has a student visa for the UK which runs out on Sep 30th 2007 so could she arrange another course to attend in the UK and get another student visa for one more year? This would then bring us up to the 2 year benchmark which would allow us to apply for the Unmarried Partners Visa without the spectre of having to get married in 6 months which the Fiance Visa would force us to do.

Or is the Fiance Visa the only real way to go so we can be together in this country?

Or is there another way?

Also what are her options on having a job here, if any?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:37 am

I'll have a go!

First, UPV is quite onerous to get, u need to have lived as man and wife for two years which really means living in the same house with proof. From what i see you've only done that for one year. I've just re-read where you are thinking about another year's student visa - that makes sense but it might be difficult if the course is obviously not a progression of her previous studies. HO is not daft, they might see it as an attempt to settle using the wrong visa route.

As regards job I think she can work on a one year student visa although you have to ask for it now I think, otherwise the visa will say 'no work' on it. And it's limited to 20 hrs a week during term time and she cannot be self-employed.

Other routes are HSMP and WP, for in demand skills, ususally needing a degree and for WP, a sponsor.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

yorica
Newly Registered

Post by yorica » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:40 am

Thank you for your reply.

Does anyone else have some advice or comments?

Thanks in advance

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:22 am

I think you need to be careful applying for a student visa when you really have another purpose in mind. The Home Office take a dim view of this, if they rumble you she would be refused and this could make more problems in the future.

Good luck.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:26 am

Yorica,
For my two cent's worth, I would try the HSMP route as your girl friend clearly has a skill in teaching Japanese.
I don't think that you will find too many people in London that can teach Japanese.
Chat to some of the thousands of language schools in London and maybe they would be able too offer her a position.
Good luck, I hope it turns out alright for you two in the future.

yorica
Newly Registered

Post by yorica » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks again people.

I think the fiance visa is the way to go, I have to propose to her now.

Can anyone give a rough estimate on how long the British embassy in Tokyo could take in issuing the visa?

Thanks in advance.