ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application lost in transit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

univas01
Nigeria

Application lost in transit

Post by univas01 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Royalmail lost a friends application in transit after case have been decided. Royalmail confirmed the package was handed over to them on the 12th of February, 2014. But to my surprised, Royalmail called this morning that they couldn't find the package. Please what could be the best possible solution?

Hubba

Re: Application lost in transit

Post by Hubba » Wed May 14, 2014 2:41 pm

univas01 wrote:Hi everyone,

Royalmail lost a friends application in transit after case have been decided. Royalmail confirmed the package was handed over to them on the 12th of February, 2014. But to my surprised, Royalmail called this morning that they couldn't find the package. Please what could be the best possible solution?
Hopefully your friend has sent to the Home Office a prepaid self-addressed Special Delivery envelope for the return of his documents. If Royal Mail still managed to lose such envelope and your friend kept the postage receipt, he should be able to claim compensation of up to £500 by default. If the package was sent by the Home Office using 2nd class (which is what they do if you don't provide the self-addressed prepaid envelope) or if you don't have the postage receipt (if Special Delivery, the Home Office should have it, since it was them who posted the envelope), there isn't much you can do.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Hubba wrote:

Hopefully your friend has sent to the Home Office a prepaid self-addressed Special Delivery envelope for the return of his documents. If Royal Mail still managed to lose such envelope and your friend kept the postage receipt, he should be able to claim compensation of up to £500 by default. If the package was sent by the Home Office using 2nd class (which is what they do if you don't provide the self-addressed prepaid envelope) or if you don't have the postage receipt (if Special Delivery, the Home Office should have it, since it was them who posted the envelope), there isn't much you can do.
Thank you, special delivery envelope was Included in the application. When he called, HO confirmed the tracking number on the returned envelope. Any idea on step of action? When tracked, keep saying item on the way and royalmail is not even ready to help.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Wed May 14, 2014 4:23 pm

univas01 wrote:
Hubba wrote:

Thank you, special delivery envelope was Included in the application. When he called, HO confirmed the tracking number on the returned envelope. Any idea on step of action? When tracked, keep saying item on the way and royalmail is not even ready to help.
They consider items lost 20 working days past the posting date, so your friend should be able to claim compensation. He will need the original receipt and the postage receipt as well (which the Home Office should have). Without these the Royal Mail won't give out any compensation.

Try opening the claim, anyway, to see if they get out of their arses and look properly for the parcel. I think it is pretty difficult for a special delivery parcel to just go missing. It is probably forgotten in a shelf on the post office on which the parcel was posted.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm

No one is actually concerned about compensation, its about forcing royalmail to find the parcel. Its all about a family's life. Please more suggestions.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Wed May 14, 2014 6:51 pm

univas01 wrote:No one is actually concerned about compensation, its about forcing royalmail to find the parcel. Its all about a family's life. Please more suggestions.
I know the concern is actually for the documents, but you have got to understand that you can't really "force" them to find the package. You can file a claim and hopefully they would get out of their arses, but there's no way, not even legally, of forcing them to find the package. It's part of the contract you enter with them when you utilise their services. They don't accept liability for the value of the items posted through them, which is why they include an insurance by default on the price of the product.

Try to escalate the case on Royal Mail.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Hubba wrote:
univas01 wrote:No one is actually concerned about compensation, its about forcing royalmail to find the parcel. Its all about a family's life. Please more suggestions.
I know the concern is actually for the documents, but you have got to understand that you can't really "force" them to find the package. You can file a claim and hopefully they would get out of their arses, but there's no way, not even legally, of forcing them to find the package. It's part of the contract you enter with them when you utilise their services. They don't accept liability for the value of the items posted through them, which is why they include an insurance by default on the price of the product.

Thanks for the explanation, royalmail said they would send claim form, seems the company is even happy to have lost someone's package. The guy at royalmail that called my friend this morning was the one that suggested to send claim form. They gave up finding the parcel.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Thu May 15, 2014 5:08 am

univas01 wrote:
Hubba wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, royalmail said they would send claim form, seems the company is even happy to have lost someone's package. The guy at royalmail that called my friend this morning was the one that suggested to send claim form. They gave up finding the parcel.
Damn, I feel sorry for your friend. It is a right pain in the arse when this kind of thing happens. Ask him to contact the Home Office as well to notify them of such loss. I'd suggest sending them a letter now, accompanied with a copy of the Royal Mail's claim, asking for the process to be put on hold so that you can send new passports to get the vignettes on. I tell to do this because I assume most of the documents lost where actually needed for the process, so your friend wouldn't be able to re-apply immediately due to the lack of documentation.

Freud
Newly Registered

Post by Freud » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:11 pm

Very dissapointing to see this happening to us again and again.....I am in ur same situation Univas...they lost the package containing 34 original documents ( seven passports, marriage cert,birth cert) -

I am due to apply for ILR under long stay category and I have no clue how to obtain entry exit info ( absences from UK to cover 12 years) when I don't have copies of these passports.

I don't know how much of info would a SAR application provide ....

Awaiting response for my P59 request from Royal Mail.....

This has happened to a friend of mine with no satisfactory outcome from Home Office or Royal Mail.

We pay in thousands to UK visas and immigr and they send our passports in second class recorded delivery which is the most unreliable way to send originals....

Initially I thought its my fault I cud have included a spl delivery but later came to know the fate of someone who did that but still messed up...

This is a joke...

The home office dont care...

Royal Mail has become unreliable ...