ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Citizens entering UK on foreign passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hsduk
Newly Registered

UK Citizens entering UK on foreign passport

Post by hsduk » Wed May 14, 2014 10:28 am

Hi Everyone - I am new to this forum so my apologies if I have placed this incorrectly. My daughter (age 6) is a dual-citizen of US and UK (born in the US to my wife who is UK citizen). We currently live in the UK and have been doing so for the past 3 years. My daughter's UK passport was set to expire shortly so I sent it off to HM Passport Agency with the view that it would be back within 3 weeks. However they are experiencing a delay in processing (surprise!) so there is a risk it will take longer to be returned. Problem is that we are set to go on a holiday to Italy for a week. If we don't get her UK Passport back in time, I was going to have her travel on her US Passport which isn't an issue for entering Italy. However, will there be an issue for her returning to the UK? From reading other posts, it seems it is not an issue but it will become obvious to UKBA that we are living in the UK and I want to be prepared.

I have a photocopy of my daughter's UK passport page as well as a copy of all the supporting docs I sent to HM Passport Agency. Will this be OK to re-enter the UK? Obviously once her UK Passport has been returned we will continue to enter the UK on the UK Passport.

Any suggestions of advice will be most helpful! Thanks!

milan69
Diamond Member

Re: UK Citizens entering UK on foreign passport

Post by milan69 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:35 am

I entered UK on passport of my second nationality about a month ago. At that point I was UK citizen having attended citizenship ceremony but I never had British passport. I was told by Border official that I can enter UK on my foreign passport in future as long as the passport is valid and I have ILR with me.
Since you don't need visa to enter UK on American passport I guess it should be all right.
Just my thought..
I am sometimes wrong.

hsduk
Newly Registered

Post by hsduk » Wed May 14, 2014 12:36 pm

It is not the entering to visit that is of concern. It is entering to live as we are currently living in the UK.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:52 pm

you should have received the expired one by now ( with cut on the corners).
it does not matter if passport stamped even with a visitor visa, she is British and I suppose no one will question the stamp in the future.

hsduk
Newly Registered

Post by hsduk » Wed May 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Perhaps I am not wording my question correctly - my apologies. UK Citizen is given. When she arrives back into the UK on the US Passport they will ask what we are doing here. We live here. They will ask for proof of her citizenship. What can I provide? I have expired passport bio page which I took a picture of before sending it off to HM Passport Agency. I have not received the old or new one back yet and I might not receive it in time for my trip to Italy.

Will UKBA let her in on US Passport as someone who is remaining in the UK? even with just a US Passport?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Unlike the US, British citizens are not required to enter the UK using a British passport. Just explain the situation, show the photocopy of the bio page and she will be allowed to enter. Whatever stamp they give her is irrelevant. She is British and is allowed to stay in the country.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

dknwidr
Newly Registered

Post by dknwidr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:48 pm

apologies for the necro, but does anyone know what the outcome of this was? Am in the same situation

Kashif_Hussain
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Kashif_Hussain » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:21 am

Hi,
Once received the certificate of Neutralisation, you're British.
ILR or any other leave or stamp is irrelevant.

You should apply for British Passport, why not?

Regards

dknwidr
Newly Registered

Post by dknwidr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:45 am

Kashif_Hussain wrote:Hi,
Once received the certificate of Neutralisation, you're British.
ILR or any other leave or stamp is irrelevant.

You should apply for British Passport, why not?

Regards
thanks for your time, but not what we're asking at all (albeit OP in 2014!) - British is passport is with the renewal office as it expired, child has a foreign (from a country with 6 month visa waiver status) passport as well. Can they use that foreign passport to travel from UK into mainland EU, and then return a week later on it without issue? Anecdotally other posts across the web suggest the airline might question it rather than BF... I wanted to know what the outcome of the OP's experience was