ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Passport online

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

The Avatar
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for British Passport online

Post by The Avatar » Thu May 15, 2014 11:04 pm

The Avatar wrote:Applied online and regret :x already but lets see how it goes. I put my parents details in a cover letter, not sure if this will make a difference but hey...

Application Timeline

Passport for: Adult
Application Type: New (Naturalised)
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 25/04/2014 (posted special delivery on 28/04/2014)
Date sms received :
Date of return of documents:
Date of receipt of interview letter:
Date of Passport Appointment:
Date of Passport Receipt:
I've received a reference letter to book for an interview. Received it today, 15/05/2014 dated 13/05/2014. HMPO offices are now closed. Don't know if this is it or I will receive a letter to fill in details all over again.

konkman
Newly Registered

Post by konkman » Fri May 16, 2014 9:13 am

The Avatar wrote:
The Avatar wrote:Applied online and regret :x already but lets see how it goes. I put my parents details in a cover letter, not sure if this will make a difference but hey...

Application Timeline

Date sms received :
I've received a reference letter to book for an interview. Received it today, 15/05/2014 dated 13/05/2014. HMPO offices are now closed. Don't know if this is it or I will receive a letter to fill in details all over again.
I dont think you would have to fill another form. As far as I know, all those who applied online after 1st week in April have not been asked to re-fill the application form. Same timeline as yours so I hope my interview letter is on the way to my village in Wales!

Dali83

Post by Dali83 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:49 am

Hi all,

I am in dilemma right now! konkman could you please let me know how any one applied recently online won't need to fill the parent details at a later stage?

I think I made a big mistake as my self applied on Wednesday and will send my documents today with the hope that I can get my passport by mid June in order to apply for my wife's and daughter's visa to France as we are booked on 4th of July. Until last night when I found out about them sending extra form to fill later on which off course will slow the procedures!!

What do you think guys I should do? I am even thinking of reapplying via post and willing to lose £72 paid online. Do you think I can add the page with the parents details from now as I can pick up a form from the post office?

Please your suggestions will help me a lot

Regards

spui
Newly Registered

Post by spui » Fri May 16, 2014 10:27 am

Dali83 wrote:Hi all,

I am in dilemma right now! konkman could you please let me know how any one applied recently online won't need to fill the parent details at a later stage?

I think I made a big mistake as my self applied on Wednesday and will send my documents today with the hope that I can get my passport by mid June in order to apply for my wife's and daughter's visa to France as we are booked on 4th of July. Until last night when I found out about them sending extra form to fill later on which off course will slow the procedures!!

What do you think guys I should do? I am even thinking of reapplying via post and willing to lose £72 paid online. Do you think I can add the page with the parents details from now as I can pick up a form from the post office?

Regards
I think you may be cutting it fine to want to have your passport by mid June. As for the case on hand, I think you should provide your parent's details in the covering letter. That should be acceptable for the HMPO and shouldn't require you to fill an additional form.

konkman
Newly Registered

Post by konkman » Fri May 16, 2014 11:07 am

spui wrote:
Dali83 wrote:Hi all,

Regards
I think you may be cutting it fine to want to have your passport by mid June. As for the case on hand, I think you should provide your parent's details in the covering letter. That should be acceptable for the HMPO and shouldn't require you to fill an additional form.
I'm afraid I agree with with the application timeline at best is 4 weeks. But now due to upcoming summer holidays it is going to be the recommended six weeks.
I wouldn't worry about the re-filling of the form. A cover letter will suffice.

Dali83

Post by Dali83 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for your reply Spui.

Do you think that will accepted? Did any one try this before?

The Avatar
Newly Registered

Post by The Avatar » Fri May 16, 2014 6:52 pm

konkman wrote:
The Avatar wrote:

Application Timeline

Date sms received :
I dont think you would have to fill another form. As far as I know, all those who applied online after 1st week in April have not been asked to re-fill the application form. Same timeline as yours so I hope my interview letter is on the way to my village in Wales!
I think you are right! Interview is booked and confirmed for Monday, May 19 :D

konkman
Newly Registered

Post by konkman » Fri May 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Application Timeline

Date sms received :
Date of Passport Receipt:[/quote]

I've received a reference letter to book for an interview. Received it today, 15/05/2014 dated 13/05/2014. HMPO offices are now closed. Don't know if this is it or I will receive a letter to fill in details all over again.[/quote]

I dont think you would have to fill another form. As far as I know, all those who applied online after 1st week in April have not been asked to re-fill the application form. Same timeline as yours so I hope my interview letter is on the way to my village in Wales![/quote]

I think you are right! Interview is booked and confirmed for Monday, May 19 :D[/quote]

Great news Avatar!
Kindly let us know when you get your supporting documents. I am in a bit of a panic here as I need my non-British passport before 9th June!

Dali83

Post by Dali83 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Panic panic panic... I have posted the form this afternoon and I included a cover letter with all the details needed for both side grandparents and parents.

My -hopefully not- only mistake is that my signature was slightly outside the box so what I did is included another copy with new signature as luckily I took a copy if the application before sending it. I made a note of this mistake in the cover letter also.

Do you think this won't cause any problem guys? I just really wanted it to be perfect and sent today to get my passport as soon as possible.

Regards

The Avatar
Newly Registered

Post by The Avatar » Sat May 17, 2014 8:04 pm

The Avatar wrote:

Updating Application Timeline

Date of application: 25/04/2014 (posted special delivery on 28/04/2014. Arrived at HMPO Belfast 29/04/2014)
Date sms received : --
Date of return of documents: waiting
Date of receipt of interview reference: 15/05/2014 (dated 13/05/2014)
Date of receipt of interview letter: 17/05/2014 (email confirmation 16/05/2014)
Date of Passport Appointment: 19/05/2014

konkman
Newly Registered

Post by konkman » Thu May 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Has anyone else who applied 20-29th April heard anything from HMPO. I applied on 25th April and nothing so far! :(

The Avatar
Newly Registered

Post by The Avatar » Fri May 23, 2014 1:04 pm

konkman wrote:Application Timeline

Date sms received :
I've received a reference letter to book for an interview. Received it today, 15/05/2014 dated 13/05/2014. HMPO offices are now closed. Don't know if this is it or I will receive a letter to fill in details all over again.[/quote]

I dont think you would have to fill another form. As far as I know, all those who applied online after 1st week in April have not been asked to re-fill the application form. Same timeline as yours so I hope my interview letter is on the way to my village in Wales![/quote]

I think you are right! Interview is booked and confirmed for Monday, May 19 :D[/quote]

Great news Avatar!
Kindly let us know when you get your supporting documents. I am in a bit of a panic here as I need my non-British passport before 9th June![/quote]

Hi Konkman, my supporting documents (i.e. non-British passports and Naturalisation Certificate) arrived today. I still haven't received my British passport though. I was told it was printed on May 20.

konkman
Newly Registered

Post by konkman » Fri May 23, 2014 1:32 pm

The Avatar wrote:
konkman wrote:Application Timeline

Hi Konkman, my supporting documents (i.e. non-British passports and Naturalisation Certificate) arrived today. I still haven't received my British passport though. I was told it was printed on May 20.
Thanks for letting me know Avatar.
I got my status updated today saying : Please contact us.
I hope that means the interview letter is on its way. I really panicked and called to withdraw my application. So hopefully i will get it either tomorrow or Tuesday and I have 2 more weeks until 9th June.
Hopefully this will be enough time to get my non-British passport.

The Avatar
Newly Registered

Post by The Avatar » Fri May 23, 2014 2:23 pm

IT'S OVER!
The Avatar wrote:
The Avatar wrote:

Updating Application Timeline

Date of application: 25/04/2014 (posted special delivery on 28/04/2014. Arrived at HMPO Belfast 29/04/2014)
Date of return of supporting documents: 23/05/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 23/05/2014 (printed on 20/05/2014)
This forum is the best!

konkman
Newly Registered

Post by konkman » Fri May 23, 2014 2:59 pm

The Avatar wrote:IT'S OVER!

Date of return of supporting documents: 23/05/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 23/05/2014 (printed on 20/05/2014)
This forum is the best![/quote][/quote]

Congrats Avatar!
Just called DX and my supporting docs were delivered today!
Now I can enjoy my holidays in 2 weeks' time.

konkman
Newly Registered

Post by konkman » Fri May 23, 2014 10:53 pm

I applied online on 9th April and only sent the documents on 25th as I needed my foregn passport to travel. When I saw the issues folks were having about being sent blank forms to fill again I panicked!(yep Im good at it). I needed to travel by 9th June so I filled a paper form and added a cover letter about my situation and how urgent I needed the non-British passport. This was received on 1st May. There was a chance this could all backfire but I had to give it a shot.

Today two strange things happened: I received a text saying my application had been received and my online status changed to 'Please contact us'. Reading through previous posts, I realised this was similar to malafat, ken218 who also got sms after they sent the paper forms. I called DX and they had delivered a package in the afternoon.

I got home only to find out that my package had the foreign passport I so badly needed, a letter(dated 16th May) and another blank paper form! The letter was almost the same as that of ken218 except the first paragraph:

"Unfortunately, you have not filled in the whole application form.As you were born outside the United Kingdom and this has a direct affect on your national status under British Nationality Act 1981, you will need to fill in a new form in full."

At this point I didn't really care as it was my passport that was most important to me. However, I called the 0845 number in the letter and asked them what was happening as I had already sent a paper form. The nice guy told me that actually after they sent that new request, they later found my paper-filled application form and processed it today! He even went further to give me a booking reference number and I am expecting the letter either tomorrow or early next week.

So, this online this is not really resolved as I had thought. But I'm glad I sent the paper form without waiting for them. I hope I am the only one who encounters this and it doesn't happen in future but these guys really assess things case by case.

I thought almost(if not all) those who naturalised were born outside the UK but still this a was a reason to make me fill the forms again and nothing to do with parents' details!

Anyway, thanks to all those who have contributed to this forum, it has ultimately made me avoid a massive delay issue due to my 'unique' situation.

reddy009

Re: Applying for British Passport

Post by reddy009 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi

My naturalisation application is approved and my citizenship ceremony is on Next wednesday, would like to apply for British passport ASAP, as i have some other commitments. Could some one tell me what are the documents i need to send along with application?

Thanks

reddy009

Post by reddy009 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi

My naturalisation application is approved and my citizenship ceremony is on Next wednesday, would like to apply for British passport ASAP, as i have some other commitments. Could some one tell me what are the documents i need to send along with application?

Thanks

konkman
Newly Registered

Post by konkman » Mon May 26, 2014 4:33 pm

reddy009 wrote:Hi

Thanks
Reddy009,
For a start read through this website:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport/overview

I will also suggest that you spend a lot of time reading through this forum(for online application) and
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... -2600.html

for 'check and send' applications before deciding which application method you want to use.

It is getting to summer so you definitely need the 6 WEEKS HMPO suggest you allow.

The main documents you will need will be any uncancelled non-British passport that you have and your naturalisation certificate.
All the best.

guido
Newly Registered

Post by guido » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi All,

Just a warning when applying online, as I also see from a lot of other people in this thread, I also received a letter from the HO saying that I had not filled in all the sections of the online form. Upon comparing the hard copy form that was sent with the letter and the PDF copy I saved from the online one, I realised that on the hard copy form there was an EXTRA section on parent's details which was NOT on the online form.

Apparently when filling in the online form they cannot make any amendments once submitted hence you need to fill in the ENTIRE FORM AGAIN. Another warning for when both your parents were BORN ABROAD; they will require you to fill in details of your GRANDPARENTS in 'Section 8. More Information'.

Thoroughly miffed that they make it seem in the letter that it was my fault for supposedly having 'missed' this section/not properly filled in the form when this section does not even EXIST in the online form :evil:

The most annoying thing is that you have to get it countersigned again.. ARGH! I only received the letter 4 weeks after posting the application through secure mail.

Don't risk it! (at the moment) and just get the form from the Post Office.

19eggs

Post by 19eggs » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:46 pm

guido wrote:Hi All,

Just a warning when applying online, as I also see from a lot of other people in this thread, I also received a letter from the HO saying that I had not filled in all the sections of the online form. Upon comparing the hard copy form that was sent with the letter and the PDF copy I saved from the online one, I realised that on the hard copy form there was an EXTRA section on parent's details which was NOT on the online form.

Apparently when filling in the online form they cannot make any amendments once submitted hence you need to fill in the ENTIRE FORM AGAIN. Another warning for when both your parents were BORN ABROAD; they will require you to fill in details of your GRANDPARENTS in 'Section 8. More Information'.

Thoroughly miffed that they make it seem in the letter that it was my fault for supposedly having 'missed' this section/not properly filled in the form when this section does not even EXIST in the online form :evil:

The most annoying thing is that you have to get it countersigned again.. ARGH! I only received the letter 4 weeks after posting the application through secure mail.

Don't risk it! (at the moment) and just get the form from the Post Office.
Thanks Guido. I was thinking of applying online now maybe not.

Anybody else also faced the same issue ?

reddy009

Post by reddy009 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:21 pm

Method of application: Post office check and Send ( to Peterborough)
Date of application: 31/05/2014
Date of receipt of interview reference: 1
Date of return of supporting documents:

konkman
Newly Registered

Post by konkman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:40 am

FINAL UPDATE
Method of application: Online to Liverpool
Date of application: 9/04/2014
Date of submission of declaration form and supporting documents: 24/4/2014(received on 25/4/2014)
Date of submission of paper form to prevent delay : 30/4/2014(received on 01/5/2014 and included cover letter explaining why and also request for foreign passport)
Date sms received : 23/5/2014
Date of receipt of interview reference: 23/5/2014(called to get it and interview booked same day. Also received letter requesting to fill paper form again but called and was told paper form was found and processed!)
Date of receipt of interview letter and confirmation of booking: 28/5/2014
Date of Passport Appointment: 31/5/2014
Date of return of supporting documents: passport on 23/5/2014 and naturalisation cert on 3/6/2014
Date of Passport Receipt: 3/6/2014

Yes mine was a complicated one. I will therefore advice that until the online system changes to 'fully functional' do not try to use it if you need your documents or passport urgently. The normal check and send might be better as my application was almost 'check and send' with the exception of fee payment.

ahh27
Newly Registered

Post by ahh27 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi, everyone.

My citizenship ceremony will take place on 21 June, and of course I'd like to secure my British passport ASAP afterwards.

I understand that a first passport application will take at least 6 weeks, and it seems that online applications are probably not the way to go. What I'm not clear on is how quickly I can expect the return of my supporting documents, including my current Australian passport.

I just called the Passport Office and was told, unequivocally, that my Australian passport will not be returned to me until 7-10 days AFTER I receive my first British passport. I was also told that this is because applicants are not supposed to travel outside the country at any point during the application process. However, the timelines posted here suggest that supporting documents, including passports, are routinely returned some time BEFORE the first British passport is issued - indicating that you could in fact travel (on your old, non-British passport) prior to receiving your new passport.

Can anyone clarify this? Your help is much appreciated!

mikeinredditch
Newly Registered

Post by mikeinredditch » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:31 pm

If you have a valid passport that you are able to travel on, I would suggest that you just delay your passport application until you have completed your travel.

New passports take 6 - 8 weeks, and you need to attend an interview for your first adult british passport, so potentially you could receive an invite to interview and then miss the appointment should you be out of the country. That might be partly why they said not to travel.