ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New baby visa status?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alan14
Newly Registered

New baby visa status?

Post by alan14 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi,

My wife, child and I are all Malaysian passport holders. We were granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK in 2013. We are expecting the delivery of our second child in October whom will be born in the UK. What status will the new baby be? Do we have to apply for an indefinite leave to remain visa/ settlement or will the baby become automatically a British citizen? Malaysia does not recognise dual citizenship. We do not want to give up being a Malaysian citizen. However we do not mind if our new baby has both (UK citizen first, then become Malaysian citizen). What do we do? Please advise.

sunnycambridge
Newly Registered

Re: New baby visa status?

Post by sunnycambridge » Fri May 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Provided parents have Indefinite visa, baby born in UK can be registered as British citizen.

But as you said Malaysia do not offer dual citizen, if you want to keep Malaysian citizenship then route will be. Apply for Malaysian passport and then UK visa imho.

skilled_migrant

Post by skilled_migrant » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Your child will not get visa on Malaysian Passport. On another forum I read a story of Indian national who was in the same boat. India also does not allow dual nationality.

After a bit of struggle dig out this:

"I and my family are Indian nationals with UK ILR since 2009. We had a new-born child couple of months back. Since I didn’t intend to apply for British passport for my child, I opted for an Indian passport for her, which I duly obtained. Then I decided to apply for ILR status for my child to enable her to have the same status as everyone in the family.

Earlier this week, I had PEO (in-person premium service appointment) at UKBA. UKBA refused to consider ILR application on the grounds that my daughter by the virtue of being born in UK and having resident parents automatically is a British citizen, and hence is not eligible for ILR. They refused to accept that I had no intention of gaining UK citizenship in future."

Read a fully story here:
http://www.indiamike.com/india/for-citi ... t-t183474/

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:22 pm

A child born in the UK to a parent(s) who are settled does not need to register as British as that child will be British. They are usually exceptions in other countries (who do not allow dual nationality) where the child acquires another nationality automatically.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.