ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got HSMP & EC, plz help me decide I should go or not?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

moodymani
Newly Registered

Got HSMP & EC, plz help me decide I should go or not?

Post by moodymani » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:28 am

I need your help friends.

I am working in Delhi in a top American IT MNC as a sytem admin with an annual package of around 6 lacs.
I got an offer from Mckinsey, Delhi of around 9 Lacs. I also received my HSMP and EC this month. Now, I am not sure whether I should join Mckinsey or move to UK.

1. I am 27 years old and will need to earn around 24K pounds per annum to extend my HSMP. Is that easy?

2. Can I join Mckinsey for 6 months and then move to UK after that? I hope I won't have issues with getting my HSMP FLR and Mckinsey is a gud company to have in my CV and it will help me in finding job in UK.

Has2003

Re: Got HSMP & EC, plz help me decide I should go or not

Post by Has2003 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:12 pm

No

RAW

Post by RAW » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:30 am

Can u elaborate the meaning of "no".

Does it mean not come to UK or not join Mckinsy.........

Cause I m also caught in the same dilemma and not able to make up my mind that whether should I leave my well paying multinational organization job and move to UK or should stay.

Cheers,
RAW

rajkumarpatel

Hi

Post by rajkumarpatel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi,
Got link: www.jobserve.co.uk and check how many jobs approximately available for your skill sets in Contract. Few rules if you are coming to UK on HSMP:
1.) You should be ready to devote atleast 4-6 week for your job hunt. So you should have enough money for initial logistics like (air ticket, initial accomodation, transport by tube and british rail). As you have to stay somewhere and if in and around london then may be shared accomodation cost you min £75/week.
2.) You should be optimistic to take that risk and in most of the cases, you get land up in contract in 3-4 week.
3.) You should be flexible for the location initially. For example, being around london, you should be open to accept a contract which is in Sheffield or say birmingham and then you can relocate upon getting the contract.
4.) This is a good time to come to uk starting Aug - October. As per UK market, this is the time when companies are in hurry to hire technical resources to start their projects and complete them. Nov - Jan is a closing time for the business, so openings are quite less.
5.) Be flexible about the rates for your 1st contract. For example, as Unix admin resource may offer you max £280/day. Or you can get say £250/day, accept it if you are not getting anything better then after initial experience in contracting, you can be selective about your next contract and look for your specific business interest.
6.) Buy a phone as soon as you come and have your travel plans ready.
If you can accomodate with some of your friend then its well and good.
7.) If you start your limited company, then there are umbrella companies who helps you to open and manage your billing, taxing, VAT issues with a minimal charge. You need to take care of this thing too.

regards
RKP

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:02 pm

Rs 9 lakh job in McKinsey is far better than doing below par job in U.K.

Once you work in McKinsey for a year or so, you'll get better opportunity in all over the world.

However, if you simply dream of living in UK, then it's a different story.

moodymani
Newly Registered

Post by moodymani » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:20 am

Thank u so much for the replies!

1. If I work in Mckinsey for 1+ years and then go to UK, will I have difficulties in getting FLR?

2. If I do not go to UK now and start working in Mckinsey, then re-apply fresh for HSMP after 2 years. Will that be taken as a bad thing that I did not move at first place and will it create issues in getting new HSMP?

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:24 am

Don't be so fool. Take the very first flight to UK and start working. I think it will take one or two weeks (depends on your luck obviously) and you will be working somewhere. For Contract Jobs, you can earn anything between GBP 200-400/ Day depends on your experience.

GBP24k/ Year is not a big deal. That is average salary for a person with 1-2 years of experience (in IT). I believe you can easily get around 30k/ Year that can go up to 40-45k in a year or 15-18 Months. Moreover, the standard of life, which you will get in the UK, never get in India. Now the choice is yours :)

Cheers,

Akash...

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:27 pm

AkashS wrote:I believe you can easily get around 30k/ Year that can go up to 40-45k in a year or 15-18 Months.
I would love to have a job which gives me a 25-50% raise in 12-18 months.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:00 pm

Right,

Dont be in a rush to come to UK..find out jobs relaed to YOUR skills in jobserve.com..Find out salary etc..Then decide..

I found a job after coming here, have already spent 7 months ..Working for a good IT company..BUT planning to come back Next year..
There are other reasons like House,TV/Cable,social life,family etc..
So every thing which looks rosy sitting back in India , is not actually rosy..

So think calmly before jumping in...Yes, you will surely be benefited financially if u come to UK

Ashish

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:47 am

olisun wrote:
AkashS wrote:I believe you can easily get around 30k/ Year that can go up to 40-45k in a year or 15-18 Months.
I would love to have a job which gives me a 25-50% raise in 12-18 months.
10-15% Hilke is normal in any IT Job. Even if you perform just below average or hardly meet your targets. So 25-35% at least, not a big deal at all...

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:53 am

ashishashah wrote:Right,

Dont be in a rush to come to UK..find out jobs relaed to YOUR skills in jobserve.com..Find out salary etc..Then decide..

I found a job after coming here, have already spent 7 months ..Working for a good IT company..BUT planning to come back Next year..
There are other reasons like House,TV/Cable,social life,family etc..
So every thing which looks rosy sitting back in India , is not actually rosy..

So think calmly before jumping in...Yes, you will surely be benefited financially if u come to UK

Ashish
I would strongly suggest you to take the very first flight to UK. I also have HSMP Visa but unfortunately I could not come there and now my hopes of coming in this lovely country are shattered :(

I again tell you not to be a fool and regret entire life that why did you miss such a nice and lifetime opportunity. Think from your Head, not Heart... Book your ticket asap :)

Also if you go there and get a nice job, remember me and arrange even a part-Time Job in some Shop or warehouse for me.. :)

Cheers,

Akash...

docitduo

Post by docitduo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:58 pm

AkashS wrote:10-15% Hilke is normal in any IT Job. Even if you perform just below average or hardly meet your targets. So 25-35% at least, not a big deal at all...

That's very true for India, with some companies offering 15-20 percent hike even to non-performers in an effort to retain their labor pool. But this doesn't mean that salary appraisals in UK will also be at similar rates.

regards

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:20 am

ukjobsforme wrote:
AkashS wrote:10-15% Hilke is normal in any IT Job. Even if you perform just below average or hardly meet your targets. So 25-35% at least, not a big deal at all...

That's very true for India, with some companies offering 15-20 percent hike even to non-performers in an effort to retain their labor pool. But this doesn't mean that salary appraisals in UK will also be at similar rates.

regards
It is normal trend in almost all IT Companies Worldwide. See, no company will give you hike if you are really bad or well below expectations. But everyone knows that Prices go up every year for things and living cost also increase by at least 10% so 10-15% hike is normal whether u r in India or UK.

In fact in India you will get normal hike of 10-15% even if you perform well. In India, if you want good salary Hike then the only way is to change the job. I am in to Ethical Hacking and our deparment performed very well and all projects excuted successfully, but I got 10% hike only...

U'll get good hike if you are in the UK for the same performance...