ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Application Rejected

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

androol
Newly Registered

Passport Application Rejected

Post by androol » Sat May 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Hello,

I am the child of an Irish born father, whom I never knew, and my passport application was recently refused.

Here are the details: My mother and my father were never married and were not together for long after I was born. On my original birth certificate my fathers place of birth was shown as a state in the United States (for privacy I am not going to say which one) but it was later amended to show his place of birth as Ireland. My mother passed away about five years ago but before she died she told me all she knew about my father. I was able to track down the Irish birth certificate of a person who matched the information on my birth certificate. So using my birth certificate and his birth certificate, I applied for an Irish passport. After submitting the application the passport office asked me for a copy of my fathers passport. Now, as stated, I never knew my father. I have no idea where he is or how to contact him (I have tried). He may not even acknowledge me as his child if I were to be able to reach him. So after being unable to obtain this paperwork the passport office formally rejected my application, after eight months of being in limbo. In their rejection they invited me to re-apply when I am able to obtain a copy of his passport. They will also "consider any further evidence, such as a civil marriage certificate and any other documentation which you feel may assist with verifying the link with your Irish born father".

So my question is what other type of information would be acceptable? Other than my official birth certificate I cannot think of any other government issued documentation that would show any sort of connection. In reality other than him donating genetic material a few decades ago, there is no other connection. But officially all that is required is that he be my legal father, and I have provided the official, legal proof of that. Perhaps there may be other information out there, like an old newspaper birth announcement. But none of it would be government issued. I do not believe I was christened or baptized in any religion right after I was born either.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or is Ireland allowed to reject the passport applications of children born out of wedlock?

wwattock80

Re: Passport Application Rejected

Post by wwattock80 » Sat May 17, 2014 4:28 pm

whats is you mother nationality, where was she passed away. and where is you father now. How old are you?
The easiest way to get information contact with Citizen Information.

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Sat May 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Which country issued your dad's birth certificate?

androol
Newly Registered

Post by androol » Sat May 17, 2014 7:46 pm

My father's birth certificate was issued in Ireland. My mother was American and I was born and raised in the United States. My mother passed away five years ago. As stated, I have no idea where my father is as I have never had contact with him. I do not know if he is still in the United States or returned to Ireland at some point. I have no idea if he is even still alive. My mother was the last of her siblings living, so I do not have any of her family that could give me more information. Even if I were to find him, I have no way of compelling a total stranger to provide his passport to me. I am in my forties.

wwattock80

Post by wwattock80 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Well as you said that you born and raised in the U.S. As you can't proof that your father was Irish, remember the birth certificate is not enough proof, off course when a country is giving you Nationality definitely they will ask for some proof. But the bad luck is you don't know where your father is? other wise you can force him and bring him in to court for DNA test and that will be enough proof, Now even you can't go to court because as you said you don't know where is he so its mean you cant proof that either.
Now the only thing if you have your father birth Cert check where it was registered i mean county. maybe you get some details from that office about him or social service office then maybe you will find his ties in Ireland once you find his links then you know it will be easy for you to proof that you are his son
Good Luck,

androol
Newly Registered

Post by androol » Sun May 18, 2014 4:19 am

The passport office is not questioning my fathers ties to Ireland, they are questioning my ties to him. If the passport office wanted additional documentation then that should be noted as part of the required paperwork. All that is required is a copy of your official birth certificate, you Irish born parents certificate, and a copy of your parents civil marriage certificate if applicable. As my parents were never married I was required to provide a statement to the fact they were not married. In other words I provided all the documentation legally required. Beyond my birth certificate showing the information of his birth in Ireland, including his date of birth, and his official Irish birth certificate, what other legal documentation can their be to show we are connected?

wwattock80

Post by wwattock80 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:33 pm

I think you didn't read wot i wrote, As you said you don't know where your father is and you don't have any other proof only birth cert, so the best way is go to Birth/death Register office to know is he alive or not. you ll be able to trace his last address in Ireland to contact with social office or tax office and may be you ll find his last address in Ireland or his ties and then you ll know where is he. Maybe you will be able to established your ties with him once you him or his ties. other wise no hope.
DFA can ask you few things
Birth and marriage certificates (if applicable).
Evidence you’re entitled to Irish citizenship
Photo ID
Proof of name
Proof of address
..Remember…
Your proof of name and proof of address can’t be covered by the same document.

In my case when i was getting my son's Irish passport i supplied all the above documents of mine and my wife's too

hope this will help

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Sun May 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Discretion should have been exercised, back in the days when your father was born, it is 100% certain that being born on the Island is automatic citizenship, if your birth cert has his details on it, you may seek judicial review.

androol
Newly Registered

Post by androol » Sun May 18, 2014 4:41 pm

wwattock80 wrote:I think you didn't read wot i wrote, As you said you don't know where your father is and you don't have any other proof only birth cert, so the best way is go to Birth/death Register office to know is he alive or not. you ll be able to trace his last address in Ireland to contact with social office or tax office and may be you ll find his last address in Ireland or his ties and then you ll know where is he. Maybe you will be able to established your ties with him once you him or his ties. other wise no hope.
DFA can ask you few things
Birth and marriage certificates (if applicable).
Evidence you’re entitled to Irish citizenship
Photo ID
Proof of name
Proof of address
..Remember…
Your proof of name and proof of address can’t be covered by the same document.

In my case when i was getting my son's Irish passport i supplied all the above documents of mine and my wife's too

hope this will help
Sorry about that, you are correct, I missed part of what you had said (trying to read the posts on my idiot-phone did not work out so well). I guess I can give the birth/death register a shot. I have done several internet searches both in the United States and in Ireland with no luck.

Also, as you pointed out, there were a few other things required and I did include those things with my original application - photo ID, Proof of Name, Proof of address.

Thank you for your response.

androol
Newly Registered

Post by androol » Sun May 18, 2014 4:50 pm

dalebutt wrote:Discretion should have been exercised, back in the days when your father was born, it is 100% certain that being born on the Island is automatic citizenship, if your birth cert has his details on it, you may seek judicial review.
I have filed a complaint with the Ombudsman. It seems to me I am being discriminated against because my parents were not married and my mother was not an Irish national.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon May 19, 2014 3:51 pm

To be fair, no-one cares where your mother was from. In this case it is your father who is of interest to the Irish authorities - you are claiming citizenship from him and him alone. All you need is citizenship from one side. I know Americans and Canadians who have got citizenship through one parent. Their other parent wasn't even considered - why would they need to see if a child was born to 2 Irish parents when one is enough?

I do agree that they shouldn't need to see his passport as Dalebutt is correct - at that time EVERYONE born on the island of Ireland would be an Irish citizen from birth (with exemptions for children born to diplomats).

I'm sure it will take forever for the Ombudsman to reply but hang in there...it should work out!

tev9999
Newly Registered

Post by tev9999 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:22 pm

I see them looking for more substantial records, not discrimination.

Did you do a search for court records? Was there ever child support paid? If so, you may be able to find those court records that indicate that he was your father. Try checking the county court website from where you lived when you were born. They may not have records going back that far online, so you may have to write or go in person.