ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NIC and Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

qatarsl
Newly Registered

NIC and Visa

Post by qatarsl » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:47 pm

I've been in the UK from 1970's during which I received a NIC (National Insurance Card) starting with NA**.

Since the 1970 I've been visitng the UK frequently. Mostly with a Visiting Visa. Sine 2002 I decided to stay back in the UK as I dont have any problems with work or with immigrations. During this time I worked for a leading Company in the UK, I;ve paid my TAXES, I have a house of my own, I have paid council taxes, my employer has paid my PENSION funds etc.

Last month I had to leave the UK to attend an important event in Sri Lanka. During my exit at the Heathrow airport , the passport control officers issued me with a ISI51A for overstaying in the UK.

I am now in Sri Lanka and I need to go back. I am a Sri Lankan passport holder.

What do u think would happen If I apply for a Visa to the UK again. What do u recommend I do to appeal my case to go back to the UK as I am legitimate NIC holder.

JAJ
Australia

Re: NIC and Visa

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:54 pm

qatarsl wrote: What do u think would happen If I apply for a Visa to the UK again. What do u recommend I do to appeal my case to go back to the UK as I am legitimate NIC holder.
Holding an NIC does not give you any immigration rights.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:05 pm

qatarsl, Can u expalin bit more about your history in order to get response from the forum members.
I've been in the UK from 1970's during which I received a NIC (National Insurance Card) starting with NA**.
How did you visit UK? As a tourist, business or asylum? How did you obtain your NI card with your visitors visa?
Since the 1970 I've been visitng the UK frequently. Mostly with a Visiting Visa. Sine 2002 I decided to stay back in the UK as I dont have any problems with work or with immigrations. During this time I worked for a leading Company in the UK, I;ve paid my TAXES, I have a house of my own, I have paid council taxes, my employer has paid my PENSION funds etc.
If you stayed in UK as an overstayer, How can you say that you did not had any problem with working or with immigration? Unless you worked illegally?
During my exit at the Heathrow airport , the passport control officers issued me with a ISI51A for overstaying in the UK.
Your statement contradict here. You said in the begining that you don't have any problem with work or immigraion, Now you are issued with IS151A for overstaying?
What do u think would happen If I apply for a Visa to the UK again. What do u recommend I do to appeal my case to go back to the UK as I am legitimate NIC holder.
NIC holder does not exempt you from getting a visa to come to UK and the evidence you provide to the British high commission lies on you, so as long as you provide enough evidence for your visit the ECO will give a visa to enter UK but in your case as a visitor and overstayer I very much doubt it unless you apply for spouse or similar visa to settle in UK

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:08 pm

qatarsl wrote:I've been in the UK from 1970's during which I received a NIC (National Insurance Card) starting with NA**.

Last month I had to leave the UK to attend an important event in Sri Lanka. During my exit at the Heathrow airport , the passport control officers issued me with a ISI51A for overstaying in the UK.

I am now in Sri Lanka and I need to go back. I am a Sri Lankan passport holder.

You seem to be confusing a NI card with immigration visas. Having an NIC has absolutely NO effect on your visa - it DOES NOT give you any AUTOMATIC right to work in the UK. So do not assume having an NI Card means you're allowed to work in the UK. That is incorrect.

So waving your NIC around doesn't prove anything. You need a valid visa that allows you to work - and it seems you have never had that and were working on a visitor's visa. So, it would seem that you assumed you had the right to work here, else why travel for an event!?

You were an overstayer, which is why they gave you that removal papers. Showing proof that you were in the UK - i.e. that you have a job, a home, etc, would not help you one bit. You need to apply for a working visa - either sponsored for a WP, a HSMP or some other relevant visa. Overstaying doesn't mean you're automatically barred from returning to the UK - but you will find it hard to return immediately (and you'd probably lose your current job), so you need to probably seek legal advice or something, as I don't envisage you returning any time soon.

Applying for anything other than a work-type visa or settlement visa would set alarms ringing - you can't be trusted on a visitor's (or even student) visa, especially since your knowledge on NI Cards and visas seems limited, and showing ties to the UK (a home, job, etc) would mean a 99% chance you'd get refused.

So get your company to sponsor you, if that's possible.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:16 pm

And how did they pick you out at Heathrow. Was it a random check?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:21 pm

The guy's story has changed.......

"During my stay in the UK i did not WORK" - Hmmmm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Wanderer wrote:The guy's story has changed.......

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=
Yeah I noticed too, but maybe he's writing this for a friend of a friend of a friend...you know how they do! Or maybe he was too shy to tell us he was here longer than he really was?

qatarsl
Newly Registered

Post by qatarsl » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:00 am

Hai Wonderer.

Im helping people who come to me for Visa assistance. I prefer using I rather my friend. Apologies for the confusion if there was any.

How did you visit UK? As a tourist, business or asylum? How did you obtain your NI card with your visitors visa?
Visited the UK on Business Visit
If you stayed in UK as an overstayer, How can you say that you did not had any problem with working or with immigration? Unless you worked illegally?
I had a work permit that allowed me to work. I had not restrictions. I have a British Driving License, Bank accounts etc.

And how did they pick you out at Heathrow. Was it a random check?
I've never been checked when I left the UK before. This was a surprise to me. I don't know if this was a RANDOM check or a permanent procedure after the Glasgow bombing.

Coming back to me (or my friend) what grounds do u think he has to get back to the UK.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:19 am

qatarsl wrote:Hai Wonderer.

Im helping people who come to me for Visa assistance.
In other words, are you trying to be an immigration consultant?

qatarsl
Newly Registered

Post by qatarsl » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:32 am

In other words, are you trying to be an immigration consultant?
Well some what ...

mikki
Newly Registered

Post by mikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:11 am

qatarsl wrote:I've never been checked when I left the UK before. This was a surprise to me. I don't know if this was a RANDOM check or a permanent procedure after the Glasgow bombing.
When I was leaving from Heathrow T3 in June, before the Glasgow bombing, every passport was systematically checked after security.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:25 pm

Did you have a work permit or were you a business visitor? You cannot have been both.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!