ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement Visa which subcategory? MEA authentication reqd?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

auro5
Newly Registered

Settlement Visa which subcategory? MEA authentication reqd?

Post by auro5 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 am

Hello friends,

Could someone guide me as to which application form I should be filling in the Online settlement application (Visa4uk.fco.gov.uk)? I recently got married to my long term British citizen partner this March in India. I went to VFS application center today with completed Settlement-Marriage form and they told me they'd like to see Settlement-Husband form. Are they correct? I have heard so much conflicting info. My legal advisers told me the opposite and I would like a reply from any other applicants here and hence the mess I am in.

Also, our marriage certificate is from India. Does it need an authentication stamp from Ministry of External Affairs? I was going to submit an original and a true certified copy.

Appreciate your time in replying!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Settlement Visa which subcategory? MEA authentication re

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:31 am

They are correct, it needs to be :

Visa Type : Settlement
Sub Type : Husband

Not sure about your marriage certificate question but have not seen other on the forum doing this and most provide an official translation of the marriage certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

auro5
Newly Registered

Post by auro5 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Cheers for the reply!

Having multiple sources to confirm such ambiguities is a boon. Will be applying under the new subcategory soon (and praying that the refund from the old application is processed amidst the multitude of technical issues with the site!)

I am foregoing the official translation of the marriage cert as the original certificate I have is bilingual (english/bengali), and the registrar has made sure we fill the form next to the english-written rows of questions and declarations. I am slightly nervous about the authentication as there's a stamp on the cert+true copies that use by foreign missions requires MEA stamp. That and the registrar mentioning that SOME of her clients in the past have authenticated it for US/Oz visas (she cannot recollect any cases of UK), and I'd hate to lose all my money on a technicality of a document's format.

I hope someone in the similar situation on the forums has a near-definitive reply.

auro5
Newly Registered

Post by auro5 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:47 am

Just for the information of everyone on immigration boards:

I had emailed the MEA myself and they suggested getting it apostilled. But before that, it needed the attestation from NRI and Home departments of your region. I believe there are private companies operating in New Delhi and Bangalore who sort out those regions. In my case, it took some twenty trips to the Writers' Building and get it shifted from desk to desk. It was done, however, in four-five weeks despite all the bank holidays.

Long story short: It's better to have your marriage certificate apostilled by MEA. I have submitted my application and await a response now. Good luck to everyone!