ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sudarsanam
Newly Registered

Residence requirements

Post by sudarsanam » Wed May 21, 2014 11:26 am

My wife and I are planning to apply for Naturalisation in Oct 2014 since we were granted ILR last October. However, I have a slight concern when it comes to residence requirements as far as my wife is concerned. She is in her initial stages of pregnancy and was showing signs of depression and deteriorating health and so we decided it best for her to spend some time with her parents who are abroad. She is hoping to be back in July which would mean she would have been outside UK for 88 days in the last 12 months but 470 days in the last 5 years, as opposed to normal 450 days allowance. Do you think this could be a problem? I was hoping some discretion could be applied in this case citing her condition where she needed greater care and attention. Also the AN booklet mentions that total number of absences normally disregarded is 480 days. Therefore how would you rate my chances? We meet all other conditions. For discretion to be applied, do I need to furnish any other evidences?
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sudarsanam

nm
Member of Standing

Re: Residence requirements

Post by nm » Wed May 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi,

I am also under the similar situation where my wife was out of country for 120 days, we got out ILR on August 2013 and planning to go for citizenship this August. Since she stayed more than 90 days in the past 12 months period, i am slighlty concerned about this and looking for suggestion from other members. Her total absense in the past 3 years is around 160 days.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Sudarsanam, absences up to 480 days are usually disregarded. Read page 7-8:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... let-an.pdf

NM, I had 120 days of absences in the final year and I applied for discretion. My application was approved 8 weeks later.
I am sometimes wrong.

sudarsanam
Newly Registered

Post by sudarsanam » Wed May 21, 2014 2:56 pm

Milan69, many thanks for your response.
I have read this but does it mean my case would automatically get accepted without me having to apply for discretion and give additional details/evidences to explain my wife's slightly longer absence?
Or do I still need to provide an explanation for this in the application form?

Thanks again.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:30 pm

I wouldn't think you need to apply for discretion but I am not 100 % sure.
When applying for discretion you need to show that you have made UK your home with your family and that most of your estate is here.
This is what I wrote on page 15:
I wish to state that I have made the UK my home together with my family - my wife and 16 year old son who are both British citizens and live in the United Kingdom. With my family, I live in a rented house which is in my name. In addition, I have a large part of my estate in the United Kingdom. In the past few months, due to the nature of my work, I had to spend several weeks working abroad and therefore I am requesting for discretion to be applied with regard to the requirement to have not been absent from the country for more than 90 days in the final year."
I am sometimes wrong.

sudarsanam
Newly Registered

Post by sudarsanam » Wed May 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks for the info milan69. But I would like to be 100% certain if I need to apply for discretion or not.
Hope the other experts/moderators here can help me with this.

Thanks.

sudarsanam
Newly Registered

Post by sudarsanam » Wed May 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Forgot to add that my wife and 3 yr old daughter stay with me in the UK permanently in a rented accommodation at the moment. I am not entirely sure if this would satisfy the "substantial part of the estate" requirement for discretion.

Thanks

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:29 pm

I live in rented accommodation as well.
I am sometimes wrong.