ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FAMILY MEMBER OF EEA NATION APPLYING CITIZENSHIP! NEED HELP!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RIDIKI
Newly Registered

FAMILY MEMBER OF EEA NATION APPLYING CITIZENSHIP! NEED HELP!

Post by RIDIKI » Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi everyone can you help please, I'll start from the beginning to have general idea about me.

I came to UK in June 2006 as a Family Member of EEA national (my Step-Dad is EEA National) I got my ILR in March this year and tried to apply for Citizenship via NCS
I know there is a requirement to have ILR for a yr before applying for citizenship but
as I read on Booklet AN section 6 "EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA NATIONALS AND SWISS NATIONALS" it says if you are EEA national or family member you automatically have permanent residence status after exercising EEA free movement in UK and will not have to apply ILR (Which means I have permanent resident status since June 2011)

Just had an appointment for Nationality Checking Service she said if I didn't have my ILR for a year I have to provide my Step father's residence documents that he lived here for minimum 6 years (it's more like 12 years he's in UK) it doesn't say anywhere in Booklet AN or Guide AN about it unless I missed it, also when I phoned up on Nationality Checking Service to book appointment and she asked me bunch of questions she didn't mention anything about it otherwise I'd bring them with me and that lady I had appointment with she's very unprofessional talking like she really wanted to quickly get rid of me she even said
"Oh this is taking too long now" (10mins appointment which I paid 67£)

Anyone been in similar situation and if you know how true it is?

Documents I had with me on appointment were:

2x Passports (expired and valid)

Driving License

Permanent Residence Card

Completed Application Form AN

Life in UK test and English Certificate B1

My Residence History for last 6 years Bank statements, payslips P60 etc...(She only asked me last years P60)

Thank you

SouthWest1

Re: FAMILY MEMBER OF EEA NATION APPLYING CITIZENSHIP! NEED H

Post by SouthWest1 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Because the PR stamped in your passport is less than a year, Home office still wants to see evidence of your EEA treaty rights exercise.
basically, your right to apply is driven from
1- your continued relationship with EU national.
2- evidence of their treaty rights exercise.

get those together and you should be fine to apply.
Alternatively, you have to wait for 12 months after you had your PR an you can then apply on your own merits.

RIDIKI
Newly Registered

Post by RIDIKI » Sat May 24, 2014 12:26 pm

SouthWest1 wrote:Because the PR stamped in your passport is less than a year, Home office still wants to see evidence of your EEA treaty rights exercise.
basically, your right to apply is driven from
1- your continued relationship with EU national.
2- evidence of their treaty rights exercise.

get those together and you should be fine to apply.
Alternatively, you have to wait for 12 months after you had your PR an you can then apply on your own merits.

Do I need any document from my mother's side or just my step dad(EEA National) if so which documents will be required from both/one side? i.e passport, P60 etc...
they both hold ILR.

Thank you

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:11 pm

from your EEA step dad only. you will need the following :
1- His ID /Passport.
2- Evidence of exercising Treaty Rights (P60, Payslips, Contract of employment...etc).
3- his PR if he applied and obtained one (Optional but if he has it then no need for any employment evidence after its issue date).

Also, take along any thing else which you might think beneficial. if they do not need it, then no harm.