ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

guidance

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

azianowar
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

guidance

Post by azianowar » Wed May 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi Guys,

My wife has managed to get her spouse visa and now she is in the UK. She has been given a VISA for 2 years 9 months. Is anyone able to guide me through what the next requirements are in order to get her to become a British Citizen. Also i have been hearing that the rules have changed where she will have to stay in the UK for 5 years in order to get her Citizenship meaning once her visa finishes we will have to reapply. Is this correct?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: guidance

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Basically it's;

2.5 years on this visa

Further 2.5 years on renewal of same visa

Then apply for ILR and BC at same time, subject to KOL, absences and English Language test etc etc

Cost will be about £3k on fees over that time
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Wanderer wrote:Then apply for ILR and BC at same time
Bad day again Wanderer!! You cannot apply for ILR and BC at the same time.

@azianowar - once you wife completes 5 years, renewal included, she can apply for ILR and once this is granted, if the rules haven't changed by then, she will then be able to apply for citizenship as spouse of BC without having to wait for 12 months on ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Technically you could apply for BC on the same day that ILR had been granted at a Premium Service Centre (previously PEO)...assuming the spouse is British.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed May 21, 2014 9:35 pm

You'd generally have to wait for the BRP to be delivered which takes up to 10 working days after a ILR decision.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Agree they could Casa, but Wanderers wording implies you could do both applications at the same time/simultaneously, which for people who struggle with all the jargon of immigration rules and regulations, can be very confusing.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 21, 2014 10:26 pm

CR001 wrote:Agree they could Casa, but Wanderers wording implies you could do both applications at the same time/simultaneously, which for people who struggle with all the jargon of immigration rules and regulations, can be very confusing.
I thought you could since the residency rule would be fulfilled, sorry for messing things up!

Yes, bad day, keen to help (hinder more often later!) but had too much work to do and only fleeting glances to post and rushed things a bit.

If it helps, English isn't my first language, born in Ireland and bought up from almost birth in Darkest Lancashire.....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Well I tried my best Wanderer. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

azianowar
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by azianowar » Thu May 22, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks alot for your response guys.

I am a British Citizen and have been for over 27 years. I got married to someone in Bangladesh last August. I thought my wife would need to apply for ILR after 2 years as i didn't think the 5 year rule was in place? is this not the case? do i have to reapply for her visa after 2.6 years?

Sorry if i am asking silly questions but the home office's website is so confusing.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 22, 2014 10:41 am

azianowar wrote:Thanks alot for your response guys.

I am a British Citizen and have been for over 27 years. I got married to someone in Bangladesh last August. I thought my wife would need to apply for ILR after 2 years as i didn't think the 5 year rule was in place? is this not the case? do i have to reapply for her visa after 2.6 years?

Sorry if i am asking silly questions but the home office's website is so confusing.
Five year rule has been in place since Aug 2012 I think.....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 am

Since 9th July 2012. After 2.5 years your wife will have to apply for a further 2.5 year extension - FLR(M) before she qualifies for permanent residence (ILR) - SET(M)
(Casa, not CR001)

azianowar
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by azianowar » Thu May 22, 2014 11:45 am

do we apply for an extension from the UK or do we have to do this again from Bangladesh when the time comes??

this 5 year rule takes the p***!!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 22, 2014 11:47 am

azianowar wrote:do we apply for an extension from the UK or do we have to do this again from Bangladesh when the time comes??

this 5 year rule takes the p***!!
From UK.