ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I doing something wrong in my Job Interviews?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:33 pm

Are you applying directly by yourself or going through an agency? If no feedback on your interview performance is coming from the prospective employers, you should ask your agency for reasons and where you can improve. Your proespective employer may be more forthcoming to the agency than to you on why they chose not to employ you.

chealseaforlife
Newly Registered

Post by chealseaforlife » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:26 pm

I applied directly. I have been for about four or five of such interviews. The employers always say that they will not be able to give further information on the application

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:42 am

Yes, any information on your application is entirely at the discretion of the employer. I dont know anything about management services but my two cents would be to contact someone in your line of proffesion working in the UK and understanding how the market moves here. Another factor that sometimes works against overseas candidates is the lack of local UK experience. That is the first and probably the biggest hurdle that you would not face ever again. Also do companies use agencies to recruit candidates in your line and is it worth going that route? Might be worth finding out.

Good luck!

chealseaforlife
Newly Registered

Post by chealseaforlife » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:32 am

Much Appreciated, thanks

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:49 pm

you could look at your interview techniques, maybe get in touch with companies that do mock interviews, etc. also i think you can get a lot of books on interviews. also , if you are not doing it already, you have to sharpen up on general knowledge of the present day goings on in your sector, research you do about the company thats interviewing you, questions you ask them etc.

chealseaforlife
Newly Registered

Post by chealseaforlife » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:02 pm

Do you have names of companies that do mock interviews

tryafrica

Post by tryafrica » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:56 pm

Hi

Its a bit difficult to get into your feild first time in this country, if you do then you will be very lucky. however the tricky is, get into any of the 'jobs' once you are in, the probability of geting another is high because it appers no one once to get a foreigner first, it has to be the dirty job employers, that will be your passport to better jobs. it works as proof that you are employable. Give it a try and keep me posted on the developments.

the other reason though is the length of our visas, 1 year is just not long enough for employers to commit themselves so they will rather put you on hold untill you get your renewal, you might be lucky to get one who would want to take you and help you get the permit, if you proove to them that you are first class matterial in interviews.

Wishing you the best

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:16 am

According to my exp in UK once they know u'r visa status if they are willing to call u for interview that means the interview will be completely based on merit bases thats all ...

They does'nt bother whether u are asian,american etc ... All they test is u'r skills let it be english,technical,attitude etc ... If they are impressed u will get job thats for sure.

As you said if u have already attended 4,5 interviews by now u should know what the interviewer is trying to get from you.List all the questions comeup with the best answers ,search internet etc ... And also thinkof aother possible questions around that area.Believe me non of the consultancies can help you with interviews if u are going for technical jobs.May be they can help u with HR interviews not with Tech Interviews.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:05 am

They does'nt bother whether u are asian,american etc ... All they test is u'r skills let it be english,technical,attitude etc ... If they are impressed u will get job thats for sure.
At interviews please dont try and force an 'English Accent' with funny phrases such as '' u know wa I mean'', Cheers etc.

Just speak gramatically correct Queens english (every body knows you are a foreigner) - so dont force an english accent as you will easily bite your toungue :lol:

No one is impressed by the accent - just the content of what you say
Where there is a will there is a way.

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:09 am

i agree with chekmate 8)

chealseaforlife
Newly Registered

Post by chealseaforlife » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:44 am

Thanks.

I agree with you on the English bit. Although I do have an accent, I actually speak very good english, so I have not had any problems in that area, I just try to speak clearly, but I dont try to force an accent.

But all the comments have been helpful. Thanks

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:49 am

Hi 1234Kole

Just keep applying till you succeed with high level of confidence.

When you feel you are turned from the no-response, it does not necessarily mean that your skills or interview facing tactics needs improvement.

Sometimes the reason for turning down is beyond explanation.
For e.g: budget approvals, market factors, and other managerial decisions/issues lingering around the company.
The employer in such situations may not reveal the actual reason and may just prefer to keep silence for a 'little longer' because it would affect their image in the outside world. That should no way have any impact on your job search.

So just keep a positive frame of mind and keep looking.

Good luck.

chealseaforlife
Newly Registered

Post by chealseaforlife » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:51 am

Thanks Vin123, that is very encouraging, and I will definitely keep it in mind.

ashok71
Newly Registered

Post by ashok71 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:15 pm

1234Kole,

This post is a bit old now. I'm sure you must have found a job now and well settled. I would appreciate if you and the group could share some of your interview experiences (HR and Tech/Managerial Interviews).

I am appearing for a Telephonic interview. Any tips would be highly appreciated. I have gone thru all the tips on this post and they are all very useful.

Thanks again.
Ashok

chealseaforlife
Newly Registered

Post by chealseaforlife » Tue May 03, 2005 8:41 pm

You are right, I have been working in my field for some months now, and at a reasonable level too.

In MY PERSONAL opinion, there are really no hard and fast rules. If you are very good at the interview, that is you put your best foot forward, show you are interested in the job, but without acting as if your life depends on it, then you have crossed the first hurdle.

The second hurdle is the mindset of the interviewer. If he/she believes that there is enough "local" labour, that is there is no need to have an immigrant for that position, then you get comments like you dont have UK experience. However if you meet an interviewer who does not have a mindset, then you should get the job, as long as you are actually good enough for the job. So try your best and keep your fingers crossed. These are my views but I may be wrong

IR
Newly Registered

Post by IR » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:47 am

Hello,

I am happy for you that you finally found a good job. Unfortunately, the employers crossed your way waisted your time for many times. I am sure that before they invited you to the interview they knew they are not going to hire you for their own reasons.

Most of my interviews until lately (now I have a job offer in my hand) were through the phone: All the times, the employer asked me to come for a face-to-face meeting after a single phone interview and I refused because 1 phone interview is not enough to know the applicant thoroughly. I always asked for another phone interview, the companies refused, so it stopped. I know that if I would do what they asked they would fail me. The last company that offered me the job accepted my request and had several phone interviews with me (Although they were stressed to fill the position, like all the other companies), after that I went to meet them and got the job offer.

Always do what you feel, and don't surrender to pressure from the company's side :!:

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:54 am

All the times, the employer asked me to come for a face-to-face meeting after a single phone interview and I refused because 1 phone interview is not enough to know the applicant thoroughly. I always asked for another phone interview, the companies refused, so it stopped.
That’s perfectly normal and most of the companies follow similar pattern. One telephonic interview to know/test your skills and if found OK, then face to face interview(s) with relevant people and HR that you are going to work for.

Requesting a second telephonic interview is like you are trying to get into the driving seat. That’s not something all employers would like unless the post is a high profile one like CEO's or Managing Director etc.
Let the employer drive the show, and you make your time is available for them (because, if you join then they are the one who’s going to make use of your time).
Whatever questions/issues that you may have in mind put it forward on a face-to-face session rather than a telephonic medium.