ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for UK passport while working abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

katwmn6

Applying for UK passport while working abroad

Post by katwmn6 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I am attending my citizenship ceremony next Friday and had planned to apply for my UK passport straight after.

The problem is that I work abroad, and I see that I have to surrender my current passport in order to apply for my UK passport. Normally I go back and forth from my country of work (EU) and the UK.

I see myself as having three options:

(1) Quit my job and stay in the UK for the 4-8 weeks it takes to get my UK passport (I cannot get that long off work).
(2) Apply for my UK passport in my country of work (8 weeks minimum processing time according to gov.uk) and stop travelling back to the UK during that time.
(3) Not apply for my passport and carry my ILR BRP and naturalisation certificate with me when I travel back and forth from both countries and hope I don't have problems at the border every week.

Options #1 and #2 are problematic for me. I wanted to check:

(a) If I'm missing some other way?
(b) Is there a long-term risk of doing #3? (I've read on the board that you can enter the UK with a naturalisation certificate, and I shouldn't have problems boarding flights to the UK as I'm from a country that has a tourist visa waiver programme. But I also know that my ILR is technically invalid once I'm naturalised.)
(c) If I do apply from abroad and an interview is required, will it take place at the UK embassy in that country or will I have to get my passport returned and travel to the UK to do the interview?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again for your help everyone.