ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

adult child of a naturalized British father

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

keji
Mood:
Ghana

adult child of a naturalized British father

Post by keji » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:29 pm

hi everyone,i will like information that can help me trace if i have any right of entry into the uk. my dad is British by naturalization and am above 18yrs now. any steps i can take to benefit from him?
thanks, will b grateful if i can get useful info from you guys

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: adult child of a naturalized British father

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Did he get naturalised as a British citizen before you were born??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:52 pm

yes, he was already a British citizen before I was born

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Then you are British as per 1(1)(a) if born in the UK or 2(1)(a) if born abroad. You can apply for a British Passport, just supply your Birth Certificate showing your Father's name and your Father's naturalisation certificate.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:56 pm

how do i go about that esp since am over 18yr old now .yah, i do have all the necessary document like d naturalization cert and of cause my birth cert states he is my father. but i tot only bellow 18yr have such privilege. am sorry if am sounding like naive

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Pick up a passport application form from the post office, complete it and send it off with the relevant paperwork.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:05 pm

ok, thanks so much,am most greatful but am outside the uk

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:32 pm

apple02

Post by apple02 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:17 am

keji wrote:ok, thanks so much,am most greatful but am outside the uk
I think you should double check first before doing anything just to be on the safe side because last time I heard but am not 100 per cent sure. Once you've reached 18, you are an adult and have to make the whole application for yourself and your parents can no longer cover you but double check first from either citizens advice or someone who knows the law

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:32 am

Where on earth did you hear that apple02? If you are born British, you are British, there is no need to register anything.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

apple02

Post by apple02 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:50 am

Amber_ wrote:Where on earth did you hear that apple02? If you are born British, you are British, there is no need to register anything.
Do you know what I did not mean to address the answer like that I came out confusing myself. Yes based on the British nationality act 1981 as his father was a British citizen before he was born he should be a citizen also. Fine. The part where I wasn't sure about was because he was 18. I know its much easier for minors in the process of British citizenship or for getting the passport but once you reach 18 wasn't it that was when it was made mandatory for you to follow the whole process of naturalisation and then passport. I know if you are under 18 and fall in this category you are automatically British citizen and can skip straight to the passport.

So just tell me exactly how it goes because at the end of the day we all learn everyday?

So I apologies to the person above who posted in this thread, obviously yes you did fall in the British citizen category I just wasn't sure if you could skip straight to the passport stage as you said you were 18 and certain rules does change when you reach 18

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:54 am

Apple02, not only has your contribution confused matters, but you've also insulted a number of people who spend quite a bit of their time to contribute to this board. Furthermore, you have no idea what qualifications which member has. If you are unsure of something, it's best to ask a question instead of telling others that those who are helping others do not have any idea what they're talking about.

Of course if anybody is unsure, they should seek independent immigration or legal advice. These matters are high value to individuals in terms of finances as well as their personal life.

Under the BNA 1981, certain people are automatically British at birth. If you are automatically British at birth, there is no need to register as British and one's British citizenship isn't lost upon turning 18.

In addition, under BNA 1981, there are also certain people who are British upon registration (i.e. they are eligible to acquire British citizenship but it is not automatic and therefore needs registration). If they are eligible for registration then their parents can do this before they are 18. If they are not registered before they are 18, they can be registered or naturalized depending on their circumstances.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:41 am

Having a passport does not make you British! It is merely a travel document and a good form of ID. Some people never have a passport. The British Nationality Act 1981 is what makes the OP British, which is where I suggest you read from.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:07 am

hi everyone, thanks so much for your various contributions.i don't think ''apple02'' is trying to rubbish your advice ''just wondering''. what he said is ACTUALLY the reason i am asking this question cos i _stand that being an adult makes things complicated and has kept me from acting all these days but i just felt compel to seek more knowledge on it now. he didt comment wrongly, be that as it may, i quiet appreciate all the contributions and will keep the house informed of any development so we can all learn from it.

thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 am

Your automatic British citizenship does not depreciate with age.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:38 pm

yes sir, will start working on it and keep u posted

apple02

Post by apple02 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:41 pm

keji wrote:yes sir, will start working on it and keep u posted
Yes your British citizen under your criteria that you meet of your father. Just find out about the application process and if you can get it over and done with as soon as possible :D

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:15 pm

hi everyone,
i have started taking steps to claiming my citizenship and in the process like on https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports as posted by someone. checking the supporting document i discover that i need to produce parent's marriage certificate and parent passport as at time of conception, even though i v that of my father, my mom dont have and no marriage cert.
how do i go about that?

thanks

dks100

Post by dks100 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi everyone,

My apology to post a new topic here. This is because when I searched the forum, there are hardly such cases for adult child naturalization and hence I thought to seek help in this tread.
My daughter got ILR last year when she was under 18, but when I would be applying for my naturalization this year August she will be 18+. Five years back she was not present in this country and I was present here for few days and hence will be applying my naturalization during those days. My question is
a) Will she get naturalization if applied with me although she was not physically present in UK five years back? (She is physically present in UK since last 4 years)
b) Once I get naturalization will if help her to apply early (She was physically present in UK since may 2010) like you have in case of spouse, which require 3 years presence.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks
DKS

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:56 pm

1.) She's an adult so she cannot apply with you. She must submit her own application. She needs to be physically in the UK 5 years before the date of application.

2.) Once again, she's an adult so her application is independent of yours (cf application with a spouse). She can apply in May 2015 when she can satisfy the requirement to be physically in the country 5 years before the date of application.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 am

hi everyone,
i have started taking steps to claiming my citizenship and in the process like on https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports as posted by someone. checking the supporting document i discover that i need to produce parent's marriage certificate and parent passport as at time of conception, even though i v that of my father, my mom dont have and no marriage cert.
how do i go about that?

thanks

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:01 pm

i understand that if i cant produce my parent marriage cert and they were nt legally married and i wast born after 2006, i dont have a right to britisg citizen. someone suggest confirmation of british status,what is that and is it advisable?

thanks

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Fri May 23, 2014 1:16 pm

hi everyone, it took awhile but I have all the document ready now for my claim but according to https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports, am suppose to fill form OS. preparing to submit my application, my friend's father who is a solicitor in the UK and who want to countersign said that the form is for those who are already British and not for someone trying to lay a fresh/new claim. that I am to fill C1, I am confuse now, which am I suppose to fill form C1 or OS. I just want to get it right.

thanks

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Fri May 15, 2015 7:21 pm

hi everyone, quiet an age sorry I have being indisposed for awhile. I did put all my documents together then based on the forum recommendation.it took a long long time, about 8months to be precise, as further documents was being requested back and forth, February this year response came that I am not eligible simply because I can not submit my parent's marriage certificate, they were not satisfied based on my supplementary evidence to apply decrection.so, I was label illegitimate so I don't have right to British citizenship.so I just forgot it.
but a friend called me and inform me about the 2014 act, I have read it and my interest has being aroused again.am here cos I need advice, should I try this again and what effect will my earlier application have on it.
thanks in advance for your amazing and wonderful works

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri May 15, 2015 11:09 pm

If your parents were not married at the time of your birth, you would not be British by descent and so can not apply for a passport straighaway.

However,if your father is named on your birth certificate and you have a naturalization certificate dated before your birth, you should now be able to apply for British citizenship on Form UKF. Once you have registered as a British citizen, you can then apply for a British passport.

You will become a British citizen by descent. Be aware that your children will only be British if they are born in the UK. They will not be British if they are born elsewhere.

More information

Section 65 of the Immigration Act 2014 –Children of British Citizen Fathers (PDF Document)