ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite Leave to Remain or Spouse Visa??

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jodielondon
Newly Registered

Indefinite Leave to Remain or Spouse Visa??

Post by jodielondon » Sat May 24, 2014 6:31 pm

Hello,

My husband is currently in the UK under a student visa, as he is doing a Ms in Engineering. He moved to the UK in August 2011 with the student visa and we got married in December 2012. I am a naturalised UK cititzen - I naturalised in August 2013.

He still has 1.5 years on his student visa, but we are trying to understand whether we should then (or now!) apply for a spouse visa or, because he is married to me he will be able to apply directly for an indefinite leave to remain.

Would you be able to help or point me in the right direction? I couldn't quite understand things clearly from the BA website.
Thank you very much for your help.

Jodie

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Indefinite Leave to Remain or Spouse Visa??

Post by CR001 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Spouse visa FLR(M) and you will need to meet the financial requirement and he will need English A1 test certificate.

A visa will be issued for 2.5 years which will then have to be renewed for a further 2.5 years, before applying for ILR on SET(M). At each stage, the financial and english requirements will need to be met.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-flrm
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jodielondon
Newly Registered

Re: Indefinite Leave to Remain or Spouse Visa??

Post by jodielondon » Sat May 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Great - thank you very much. He is American so I think he is exempt from the language requirement and we do meet the financial one.

Thank you for your help.