ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship+ILR spouse application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

send2archan

British Citizenship+ILR spouse application

Post by send2archan » Thu May 29, 2014 11:55 am

Hi all,

Need some advise from people who maybe are facing the same situation as myself.

I am currently an ILR Visa holder (granted in Aug 2012) which expires in 2022. My wife is on a dependent visa (not ILR). Since at the time of my wife's application, we did not complete the 2 years probationary period hence, she could not apply for her ILR visa. We complete the 2 years in Sept 2014 and if I take into account the 28 days window then she is eligible for an ILR by end of Aug 2014. So till now this is all OK.

The confusion now lies here.

I want to apply for my British Citizenship this year. If I apply for my wife's ILR Visa on 28 Aug, then is it possible for me to apply for British Citizenship on the SAME DAY? Or should I first wait for my wife's ILR visa to come through and then apply for my British Citizenship? Can someone with some good knowledge please explain me.

Thanks for your help!

Archan

go2khurram
Member of Standing

Re: British Citizenship+ILR spouse application

Post by go2khurram » Fri May 30, 2014 11:51 am

send2archan wrote:Hi all,

Need some advise from people who maybe are facing the same situation as myself.

I am currently an ILR Visa holder (granted in Aug 2012) which expires in 2022. My wife is on a dependent visa (not ILR). Since at the time of my wife's application, we did not complete the 2 years probationary period hence, she could not apply for her ILR visa. We complete the 2 years in Sept 2014 and if I take into account the 28 days window then she is eligible for an ILR by end of Aug 2014. So till now this is all OK.

The confusion now lies here.

I want to apply for my British Citizenship this year. If I apply for my wife's ILR Visa on 28 Aug, then is it possible for me to apply for British Citizenship on the SAME DAY? Or should I first wait for my wife's ILR visa to come through and then apply for my British Citizenship? Can someone with some good knowledge please explain me.

Thanks for your help!

Archan
First thing is ILR has no expiry date .. It is "Indefinite" Leave to remain visa, its the Bio metric card which you need to get the new after its expiry date just like a driving licence if you don't need to apply for Naturalization.

Now, You don't need to wait for your wife's ILR in order to apply for Naturalization, As soon as you are eligible you can apply for it. In fact, its is good for you coz as soon as you will get your naturalization certificate your wife can also eligible for naturalization provided she fulfill other requirements.
*please do not take this as professional advice**

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Re: British Citizenship+ILR spouse application

Post by shahid2000 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:53 am

You can as long as you have all the documents with you. But I guess if you apply for your wife's ILR by post you will have to send your passport with the application in which case you cannot apply your BC.

On a related note, are you sure your wife is eligible for ILR under 2 year rule. This rule changed in July 2012. Was her visa issued before July 2012?