ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving the UK as a British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

yarons

Leaving the UK as a British Citizen

Post by yarons » Thu May 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Hello,

This may seem as a stupid question but perhaps nothing can be considered as stupid when it comes to immigration laws :)
I obtained my British Citizenship some 5 years ago after going through the route of WP- HSMP/Tier1/ILR.

I got a job offer from a company based in a another European country which I have decided to accept. The plan is only to come back to the UK after 2-3 years but during my time out of the UK, the tax experts advised me to become a "non-resident" which is more tax efficient. My question is, does a "non-resident" status can in any way affect me being a British national? Is there some obscure law somewhere that says that if a British citizen that wasn't born in the UK leaves the country, their citizenship can be revoked if they leave the UK for X number of years.

I'm pretty sure the answer is NO - once you're a citizen the immigration game is over so I just seeking some reassurance from you kind people to this reasonable assumption.

Thanks
Y

SouthWest1

Re: Leaving the UK as a British Citizen

Post by SouthWest1 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:36 pm

you said it your self ...No

your citizenship can only be revoked if :
1- you represent threat to UK security and/or interests ( terrorism, genocide, war crime...etc).
2- you have obtained BC by deception in any aspect.
3- or basically you renounce it willingly.

I can not think of any other reasons.
you are British and you are free to go and leave any where for as long as you wish. if the "tax Expert's" advice is legal, then there are no issues.

yarons

Re: Leaving the UK as a British Citizen

Post by yarons » Sat May 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks! I called the home office and they confirmed. I wasn't really worried but better safe than sorry.
Good luck to all of you seeking/applying for citizenship!