ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mah

IELTS

Post by mah » Tue May 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Dear All,

I am applying for my naturalisation in a couple of months via NCS. I have been HSMP+Tier1 + ILR
Regarding English language: When I applied for HSMP 6 years ago I used my IELTS. Can I still show any IELTS dated back to 2007 or should I do a new test?
Regarding my spouse, she didn't show any IELTS at that time but she has IELTS reports dated back to 2011. Is it sufficient she uses that.
Thanks

Dr MS

Re: IELTS

Post by Dr MS » Tue May 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Expired IELTS should be fine. Mine was expired I got the approval.

Good luck!

WR1

Post by WR1 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 pm

As long as the expired IELTS meets the following criteria otherwise another test is required to be taken again (A direct reply from the Home Office):

1. It must have been accepted by the home office in connection with another immigration application, for example, entry clearance

2. If it is being presented for the first time, then it must have been taken in the UK and is on the OFQUAL register.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

mah

Post by mah » Thu May 29, 2014 3:19 pm

Dear WR1,

Thanks. Actually I do not remember which IELTS report I sent to the Home Office the first time I got my HSMP. I have done a few, but all back in my home country and I do not remember which one I submitted.

Does it make a problem?

Best,

Mah

badratio

Post by badratio » Thu May 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Does this mean that expired IELTS which hasn't been used before is okay to submit for naturalisation as long as it's been taken in the UK?
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

rubina20102010
Member of Standing

Post by rubina20102010 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:33 pm

badratio wrote:Does this mean that expired IELTS which hasn't been used before is okay to submit for naturalisation as long as it's been taken in the UK?
I got below reply from UKBA....Please read it.

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for settlement and citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date.

Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards

Mrs C Richards
Mrs C Richards
Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit
Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:50 pm

This is the reply I received:
Dear (name withheld)

Thank you for your letter dated 6 January 2014 regarding acceptable evidence of the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement.

As you are aware, all applicants for the settlement and naturalisation are now required to have passed the Life in the UK test, and to have English at level B1 of the Common European Framework Reference for languages (CEFR).

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

The following qualifications will be accepted for settlement and naturalisation purposes:

* Qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list in the immigration Rules, Appendix O. The SELT list is available at:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... h-test.pdf

* Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3, Level 1 or Level 2, that includes speaking and listening and that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual), the Welsh Government or the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA). the qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The register is available at:
http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/2.

Pass data of English Language qualifications taken outside of the UK is only held for 2 years on the systems that Entry Clearance Officers can access. It is for this reason that qualifications over 2 years old would not be valid for entry purposes.

However, for settlement applications, we will accept an ESOL Entry level 3, or IELTS level B1 certificate that is older than 2 years, if either of the below applies:

1) The qualification has previously been accepted by us in connection with other immigration application, eg for entry clearance.
2) If it is being presented to us for the first time, that it was taken in the UK and is on the OFQUAL register.

If it is being presented to us for the first time and was taken outside of the UK, then the SELT list requirement apply, including any requirement as to time limit on validity.

I trust this clarifies our position.

Yours Sincerely

Ann Woodall
Operational Policy Team
[/size]
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

rubina20102010
Member of Standing

Post by rubina20102010 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:50 am

Great reply and more clear the point.

My case is

I've given IELTS in UKin 2010 and got 6.5. (All 4 sections have more then 6)

But I'm not clear that does IELTS is 'OFQUAL register' certificate no not?

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat May 31, 2014 4:56 pm

Have you used the IELTS in an previous application, If so, you should be fine.

IELTS is usually assessed by Cambridge English so they would be on the Ofqual register.

badratio

Post by badratio » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks guys

badratio

Post by badratio » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:24 pm

rubina20102010 wrote: But I'm not clear that does IELTS is 'OFQUAL register' certificate no not?
You should be able to find OFQUAL logo on the back of your certificate.

sushstar
Newly Registered

Post by sushstar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:13 pm

I applied at NCS Crawley with the Pearson PTE Academic certificate which I used for my temporary leave to remain. The NCS approved the use of this certificate for my naturalisation despite the fact that it expired in 2013. However, the UKBA responded that I need a valid qualification, giving me two weeks to submit the same, failing which my application would be voided. So, despite all information and assurance to the contrary, by officials who are paid a premium to verify and advise on this particular issue, I've shelled out a further 155 pounds to retake the test. Disappointing lack of internal clarity of function all round, with regard to what is acceptable as paperwork.

mah

PTE Pearson Test

Post by mah » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 pm

Dear All,

I have a question regarding PTE.
As the PTE report is online, is it enough to take a print and submit as documents?

Thanks,

Mah