ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to get EEA permit for my non-EEA parents

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

xnox
Newly Registered

How to get EEA permit for my non-EEA parents

Post by xnox » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:43 pm

I'm Latvia citizen (EEA) who lived in the UK for 7+ years and gained EEA permament residence and subsequently naturalised as British Citizen. I still hold my Latvian passport and my EEA permament residence issues by UKBA. I believe i'm still excercising treaty rights.

My parents were born in Latvia but hold Latvian NON-EEA passports (alien passports).

Can I make EEA2 application for my parents, before they travel to the UK?

Can I make an EU application for my parents in Latvia, for them to gain Latvian family permit?

Would a Latvian family permit allow them to travel across Schengen, EEA, Switzerland, UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How to get EEA permit for my non-EEA parents

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:05 pm

subsequently naturalised as British Citizen
This will be your problem. As you are now British, you are no longer 'exercising treaty rights' as an EU national in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:10 pm

You may have to renounce your British citizenship if you wish to rely on EEA rules.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

rosebead
Member of Standing

Post by rosebead » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:55 am

It's unfair, the UK is not applying McCarthy case law (Case C-434/09) correctly. McCarthy case law is an EU ruling on EEA nationals with dual nationality. You have not always resided in the UK, you did exercise Treaty rights, and there was 'movement' - those are your legal arguments. I suppose it depends on whether you would be prepared to fight the possible Home Office refusal of your application - it's £80 for a paper appeal and £140 for an oral appeal. You've got good legal arguments in McCarthy with which to fight your case.