ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Letter from Home Office - Urgent Help / Advice..

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tom.tom

Re: Letter from Home Office - Urgent Help / Advice..

Post by tom.tom » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Quote from the letter...

Please submit a letter from UK NARIC confirming your degree to meet the recognised standard of Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK.

so I assume I don't have to send the English Language Assessment because thats a separate service and takes 10-15 working days.

CPradeep
Newly Registered

Post by CPradeep » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi Tom ,

I am in the same position applying ILR for the dependent.I am very confused because many of the post from sucessfull candidates says that printout with 10 points for english language should be enough,but your post says that we need to submit Letter from NAARIC .

Can you please confirm what was your result? .whether your case was sucessful with just printout with 10 points for english language or Did you submit NAARIC letter to make your case sucessful?

This will help others who are really confused about submiting printout with 10 points for english language

Thanks in advance.

Experts please jump in :-)

tom.tom

Post by tom.tom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Here is my update so far...

I called home office a second time and asked them for a reason for asking the NARIC letter. I also pointed out that the number one proof on https://www.gov.uk/english-language is the print out of points based calculator. I told them them that I get 30 points for degree and 10 points for english and that I had successfully claimed points on all of my previous Tier-1 General applications, extensions and ILR.

There apparently seems to be some confusion regarding this because on the AN form there is no mention of points based calculator. Mine is now gone to the senior case worker who is looking into the matter and I am awaiting a positive reply from them.... till then I need not take any action.

I'll keep you posted on further updates.

PS: points based calculator is updated by UK NARIC. there is little or no value in getting a letter from them if your degree is already recognised on the calculator.

srsatya

Post by srsatya » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:55 pm

tom.tom wrote:Here is my update so far...

I called home office a second time and asked them for a reason for asking the NARIC letter. I also pointed out that the number one proof on https://www.gov.uk/english-language is the print out of points based calculator. I told them them that I get 30 points for degree and 10 points for english and that I had successfully claimed points on all of my previous Tier-1 General applications, extensions and ILR.

There apparently seems to be some confusion regarding this because on the AN form there is no mention of points based calculator. Mine is now gone to the senior case worker who is looking into the matter and I am awaiting a positive reply from them.... till then I need not take any action.

PS: points based calculator is updated by UK NARIC. there is little or no value in getting a letter from them if your degree is already recognised on the calculator.
Hi tom.tom,

I've also submitted bachlors degree copy and medium of instructions copy, but till now I dint hear anything from them, I applied on 16th Dec. If you dont mind could you please let me know when did you applied ?

CPradeep
Newly Registered

Post by CPradeep » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi All,

I did a bit of reseaarch and to my surprise a new application form for ILR (in my case SET(M) ) has been updated from april 2014 .

Even the guidance notes has been updated ..and they have re written the "degree qualification" requirement..

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4.0EXT.pdf
see page 37 ....
This page tells you how a person can meet the speaking and listening part of the knowledge of language and life in the UK (KoLL) requirement by having a degree taught in English.
They must also have passed the Life in the UK test, see related link.
This part of the requirement can be met if the person:
 has an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), and
 provides appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English.
They do not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.
You can accept that a person has a relevant qualification if they provide:
 A printout from the points-based calculator, confirming the equivalent level of the degree, and that it was taught or researched in English. The printout must show the degree has been awarded at least 20 points, and an additional 10 points for English language. Or

 If the degree is not on the points-based calculator: o An English Language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC, which will confirm that the degree was taught in English. UK NARIC will only issue an ELA where they are satisfied that the qualification is comparable to a UK Bachelor’s degree. Or o A Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification. They must also provide an original letter from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper, confirming the applicant’s name, the title of the degree, and that the qualification was taught in English.
If the applicant is awaiting graduation, or no longer has the certificate and cannot get a new

experts please advice

YVinod
Newly Registered

Post by YVinod » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi Tom,

Could you pls update your status currently? I am in a similar situation as you. I have written to home office through letter and email as well, no response yet.

Thanks
YS

tom.tom wrote:Here is my update so far...

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Its very clear from Form AN, Guide AN and https://www.gov.uk/english-language
that you neeed a cconfirmation from UK NARIC that your degree is in standard of UK..

followed by a letter from Univ stating that your degree is taught in English..

I am applying for ELA as well..

I can understand your frustration regarding the costs..

tom.tom

Post by tom.tom » Sat May 03, 2014 10:10 am

Final update.

I wrote a letter to the case worker.

To,
The Home Office
Department 72
UK Border Agency
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

From,
XXXXXX
XXXXXX,
XXXXXX
XXXXXX,
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
Email:XXXXXXX
Phone: XXXXXXXX
Date: 15 April 2014

Subject: Reply to letter referenced XXXXXXX

Respected Sir/Madam,

I am writing this is in response to the letter received on 26 March 2014 requesting evidence for knowledge of English language and life in the UK requirement.

Sorry for the delay in writing this letter. I had contacted the home office several times through phone and was awaiting a positive response to my queries. Finally I was advised to write my concerns directly to the case worker.

I have a Bachelor degree taught in English which is recognised on the points based calculator and awards me 30 points for Bachelor degree and 10 points for English language.

I now realise that I had made a mistake in the print out of point based calculator submitted at Nationality Checking Service (NCS) Bedworth. I hereby attach the corrected version of the same.

Although a copy of my original degree certificate was endorsed at NCS Bedworth, I am attaching another copy for your reference.

I believe that the attached degree certificate and print out of points based calculator should suffice the requirement for knowledge of English language. I have followed the guidance provided on https://www.gov.uk/english-language (print out attached for your reference)

Please let me know if you require any further evidence or clarification.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXX

Attachments:
1. Copy of Degree certificate
2. Print out of points based calculator
3. Print out of https://www.gov.uk/english-language
Last edited by tom.tom on Sat May 03, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

tom.tom

Post by tom.tom » Sat May 03, 2014 10:17 am

Success!!! :D :D :D

======================

I received a response letter today,

Thank you for submitting the enclosed documents in support of your application for British Citizenship. All the information has been noted and and we will not need to see them again.

I am pleased to say that your application has been successful and you will shortly receive a letter inviting you to attend a citizenship ceremony.

========================

Thank you all for the support...

nikhilkulkarni30
Newly Registered

Post by nikhilkulkarni30 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:24 am

Hi Tom

Many congratulations to you! Good to note that you did not need to submit the letter from UK NARIC for English language clarification.

I am in the same boat now; and need some guidance as I was not Tier I.
I was on work permit (2008-2011), then Tier II (2011-2013) and then ILR. So my 5 years before ILR were a combination of (old) work permit and then Tier II (General).

Although I was NOT under Tier I general category, I understand from some other posts on here that I CAN use the 'Points based Calculator' under Tier I (General) category (choosing option as applying from within UK, to extend stay in UK) to prove that my degree is comparable to a UK degree, and to prove that it was taught in English.

I have used the PBS and was happy to note that my degree qualification is assigned the required 30 Points for qualification and 10 points for English language.

I also confirm that I have the original Life in UK test pass certificate which I can submit with my naturalisation application.

Thus based on the above, I believe I do not need any additional English language speaking and listening qualification or any letter from UK NARIC, as my degree is recognised on both aspects as comparable to standard of UK Bachelors degree and English skills.

Please confirm my understanding is correct.

I noticed that in your letter to Home office, you mentioned about some mistake in the PBS print out...May I ask what was the lesson learned so that I do not commit the same mistake?

Also, do you think it is worth to write to Home office (email) and get my situation and documentation requirements clarified in advance of filing the application?

Many thanks in advance

nikhilkulkarni30
Newly Registered

Post by nikhilkulkarni30 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:34 am

One more question Tom

Looking at the form (October 2013), page 5, Point 1.22, other than the check against the Life in Uk, which other boxes i should check in my case? It is a bit confusing....

thanks again
Nikhil

specificus1
Newly Registered

Post by specificus1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:27 am

Can I jump into this thread please (thank god I've seen it as I'd assumed just attaching my UK university degree certificate would have been enough).

So just to confirm, I'm attaching my original degree papers, along with 2 printouts from the points calculator,

35 points for the degree
10 points for english

And that's all?
Correct?

Thank you!

akash08

Post by akash08 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:05 pm

I think you are being too generous to thank God.

Since you have a UK degree, PBS is meanignless for you. What you assumed before is absolutely correct.

nikhilkulkarni30
Newly Registered

Post by nikhilkulkarni30 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Hello friends

any pointers / advice to my question will be highly appreciated :?

Raj5

Post by Raj5 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:24 pm

CPradeep wrote:Hi All,

I did a bit of reseaarch and to my surprise a new application form for ILR (in my case SET(M) ) has been updated from april 2014 .

Even the guidance notes has been updated ..and they have re written the "degree qualification" requirement..

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4.0EXT.pdf
see page 37 ....
This page tells you how a person can meet the speaking and listening part of the knowledge of language and life in the UK (KoLL) requirement by having a degree taught in English.
They must also have passed the Life in the UK test, see related link.
This part of the requirement can be met if the person:
 has an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), and
 provides appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English.
They do not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.
You can accept that a person has a relevant qualification if they provide:
 A printout from the points-based calculator, confirming the equivalent level of the degree, and that it was taught or researched in English. The printout must show the degree has been awarded at least 20 points, and an additional 10 points for English language. Or

 If the degree is not on the points-based calculator: o An English Language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC, which will confirm that the degree was taught in English. UK NARIC will only issue an ELA where they are satisfied that the qualification is comparable to a UK Bachelor’s degree. Or o A Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification. They must also provide an original letter from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper, confirming the applicant’s name, the title of the degree, and that the qualification was taught in English.
If the applicant is awaiting graduation, or no longer has the certificate and cannot get a new

experts please advice
Can anyone please advise how to yous PBS calulator to find out if degree satisfies the requirement. If I choose Tier 2 option then the degree get 10 points for English and from where do I get 20 points for degree as required per guidelines?