ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does HO accept paper-based TOEFL ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alalalayuyu
Newly Registered

Does HO accept paper-based TOEFL ?

Post by alalalayuyu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi I'm just wondering if home office accept the old paper-based toefl score. I took it in 2001 and it did not include oral english test. Anyone with experience? thanks.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Does HO accept paper-based TOEFL ?

Post by pantaiema » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:33 pm

I seriously doubt it as, Paper based TOEFL do not have speaking test.

Pantaiema

alalalayuyu wrote:Hi I'm just wondering if home office accept the old paper-based toefl score. I took it in 2001 and it did not include oral english test. Anyone with experience? thanks.

Mideast Banker

TOEFL Test

Post by Mideast Banker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:32 pm

I think the pb is not in the speaking test but rather in the date of the exam.

In the HSMP guidelines, they say that IELTS test should not be more than 2 years old to be verifiable. As the TOEFL is is an alternative I think that they will request also that it is done within last 2 yrs. Your test is 6 yrs old...

About my self , I have done Computer based TOEFL test in 2003 and I dont think it will be accepted for time reason.

Am I right Folks??

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Yes, you are right - no more than two years old.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: TOEFL Test

Post by pantaiema » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:44 pm

Mideast Banker
You are right, the test date is certainly the main concern and it should be less than 2 years old. But although it is less than 2 years old. it will not be acceptable due to the absent of the speaking test.

Test date of IELTS over 2 years old is acceptable if you are seeking for extension of FLR under HSMP.

Pantaiema

I seriously doubt it as, Paper based TOEFL do not have speaking test.

Mideast Banker wrote:I think the pb is not in the speaking test but rather in the date of the exam.

In the HSMP guidelines, they say that IELTS test should not be more than 2 years old to be verifiable. As the TOEFL is is an alternative I think that they will request also that it is done within last 2 yrs. Your test is 6 yrs old...

About my self , I have done Computer based TOEFL test in 2003 and I dont think it will be accepted for time reason.

Am I right Folks??

cdraina

Post by cdraina » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:40 am

Hi guys,

I applied fr HSMP with a VALID (written within past 2 years) Computer Based TOEFL score of 290/300. My application was refused saying that " We do not accept TOEFL."

I know HO mentions (on their website) that TOEFL is acceptable, but ground reality (with caseworkers) seems to be differennt.

Hence would suggest to apply with an IELTS score.

Cheers!
CD

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:19 pm

cdraina
I think theymentione other english test such as TOEFL is acceptable given that it has been autorised by NARIC.

AS you may know that if U do not particularly ask CBT TOEFL do not tets your speaking ability. I think here is the main issue.

Pantaiema

cdraina wrote:Hi guys,

I applied fr HSMP with a VALID (written within past 2 years) Computer Based TOEFL score of 290/300. My application was refused saying that " We do not accept TOEFL."

I know HO mentions (on their website) that TOEFL is acceptable, but ground reality (with caseworkers) seems to be differennt.

Hence would suggest to apply with an IELTS score.

Cheers!
CD
Pantaiema

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:04 pm

TOEFL is accepted if you submit it with a letter from IELTS to confirm that the TOEFL is the same standard as the IELTS.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:46 pm

Dear VictoriaS

U mean here NARIC, do not you.
IELTS will not issue such kind of letter as it is not their duties.

VictoriaS wrote:TOEFL is accepted if you submit it with a letter from IELTS to confirm that the TOEFL is the same standard as the IELTS.

Victoria
Pantaiema

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:52 pm

No, I don't mean NARIC, I mean IELTS. And I am sure they won't issue it, but that's in the guidelines that it has to be there.

The Home Office does it again!

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:08 pm

Dear Victoria

The following is a direct quotation from HSMP Guidelines April 2007 p.33
Alternative evidence for applicants without either an IELTS level 6 certificate or a degree taught in English.
Either an IELTS level 6 certificate or a degree taught in English. IELTS level 6 is the preferred qualification. However, where you have already obtained an English language certificate equivalent to IELTS 6 prior to making your application, we will consider this qualification under certain circumstances. You must submit the original certificate for consideration with your application. This alternative English language certificate must be equivalent to IELTS 6. You are advised to check the equivalence of this qualification prior to making your application. We will check the equivalence with NARIC before accepting that it meets the English Language Criteria.
My understanding from this statement it is NARIC who need to certify and not IELTS. I think, IELTS is not going to confirm/certify the TOEFL certificate in any case, as they need to respect each other. Both test are condisered a highly respected english test.

Pantaiema

VictoriaS wrote:No, I don't mean NARIC, I mean IELTS. And I am sure they won't issue it, but that's in the guidelines that it has to be there.

The Home Office does it again!

Victoria
Pantaiema

cdraina

Post by cdraina » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:17 am

I talked to NARIC guys about TOEFL-IELTS equivalence, a couple of weeks back. They very clearly stated:

"We evaluate degrees and qualifications. We are not authorized to comment on/deal with any of the English language certificates like IELTS and TOEFL."

To sum it all, APPLY WITH IELTS,
forget TOEFL!

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Ah, apols. The last guidelines I read said that IELTS must okay it.

Still, this sucks.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:26 pm

I have taught so. I have not heard before tha NARIC evaluate engilist test. But that is what is written on the guidelines.

Pantaiema
cdraina wrote:I talked to NARIC guys about TOEFL-IELTS equivalence, a couple of weeks back. They very clearly stated:

"We evaluate degrees and qualifications. We are not authorized to comment on/deal with any of the English language certificates like IELTS and TOEFL."

To sum it all, APPLY WITH IELTS,
forget TOEFL!
Pantaiema