ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Jobseekers allowance, Housing benefit + Council Tax reductio

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sabriina
Newly Registered

Jobseekers allowance, Housing benefit + Council Tax reductio

Post by Sabriina » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi all,
To apply for British citizenship
a) do I have to be self-sufficient as in “on Jobseekers allowance NOT longer ie shorter than 6 months”?
b) do I have to prove that I have been looking for jobs (applying for jobs, interviews etc.)?
The reason I`m asking is: I have have only worked in the UK for 4.5 years. The past 1 and a half years I have been on contribution based Jobseekers allowance. :roll:
[well you might think thats a stupid question, if I`m a Swedish national and I`m entitled to claim benefits I`m entitled to, but on the EEA3 leaflet or guide I somewhere read that one has to a) be on Jobseekers allowance shorter than 6 months and b) one has to prove that one is applying for jobs].
cheers

SouthWest1

Re: Jobseekers allowance, Housing benefit + Council Tax redu

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:41 pm

i suppose you are an EEA national ?
form EEA3 is different from AN for for BC.
Employment is not part of the naturalisation process. on the other hand, to obtain PR in order to apply for BC ( whether have the card or not), you will need to show evidence of exercising treaty rights ( employment, student, self sufficient...etc).

claiming JSA is not a self sufficient as you described it ( you are supported from the state and do not have your own funds). if it is longer than 6 months, then you might be classified as inactive and had break in employment.
the general advice her is to apply for EEA3, secure and than apply for BC. its £55 compared to over £ 900 for naturalisation. if granted, then you can apply straight for BC if you been here 6 years + but you will have to include the same evidence again.

hope it makes sense now!

Sabriina
Newly Registered

Post by Sabriina » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:59 pm

SouthWest1 wrote:i suppose you are an EEA national ?
hope it makes sense now!
Swedish is an EEA national.
I didnt understand a single word. (I know its only £55), but
1. I always thought that I can apply for BC without having a residence card or EEA3 card
2. Yes, I had a break in employment. I have been out of work for 1.5 years. So what do I do now?
a) do I have to work another 6 months to complete the 5 years?
b) do I have to work another 1.5 years to complete the 6 years? or
c) do I have to prove that I now have a new little (McDonalds or Starbucks) job when I start making the application in 2 months?

badratio

Post by badratio » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:13 pm

SouthWest1 wrote: + but you will have to include the same evidence again.
Nope. Nope and nope. This isn't true. Once you've got PR card it's all you need to prove you've lawfully resided in this country for 5 years.
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

badratio

Post by badratio » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Sabriina wrote:
hope it makes sense now!
1. I always thought that I can apply for BC without having a residence card or EEA3 card
2. Yes, I had a break in employment. I have been out of work for 1.5 years. So what do I do now?
c) do I have to prove that I now have a new little (McDonalds or Starbucks) job when I start making the application in 2 months?

It's recommended to apply for PR card (EEA3) first before applying for naturalisation.

All you have to do is to prove that you were seeking work during that period of time. Letters of rejection, interview invitations and stuff like that will help.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:41 pm

badratio wrote:
Nope. Nope and nope. This isn't true. Once you've got PR card it's all you need to prove you've lawfully resided in this country for 5 years.

what is Nope, nope and nope . you dont have to say it 3 times to get your point across.
you are wrong as PR ( if issued ) has the date of issue and not when it was obtained. my scenario was based on obtaining PR and apply straight for BC.
you are correct if she will wait for 12 months from the date of PR.

get your facts right before making comments !!!

and also, she need to wait as she had 1.5 years break in employment. her clock will straight ticking again after those 18 months.
EU laws do not work like this. you need to have continues employment with up to 6 months break max to be classified as an EEA exercising treaty rights in UK.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Sabriina wrote:
hope it makes sense now!

I know Swedish is an EEA, but you used "if " which means conditional ( you are not) :)

1- yes you can and already said this in my comment but you need to satisfy the criteria as an EEA national. ( Exercising treaty rights in your case).
2- 18 months are long period and my understanding is the clock towards PR will start ticking again after those 18 months. you are allowed up to 6 months every year with no employment in order to keep your status as a worker. check with a moderator for a definite answer.
Job kind does not matter as long as it is genuine and provides the min. income to sustain your expenses.

Sabriina
Newly Registered

Post by Sabriina » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:53 pm

what does clock starts ticking again mean? I have wait another 5 years, or I have to wait another 6 months or I have to wait another 1.5 years?? I dont understand.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:59 pm

refer to all sticky notes on the following forum http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... lications/

you will have answers to your questions

Sabriina
Newly Registered

Post by Sabriina » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:15 pm

SouthWest1 wrote:refer to all sticky notes on the following forum http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... lications/

you will have answers to your questions
I have just checked and there is no answer to my question there, :|

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Sabriina
Newly Registered

Post by Sabriina » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:02 pm

SouthWest1 wrote:read this the : http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1451/made

http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 59770.html

Obie/ Jambo/ Amber
your comments are required !
New Legislation: "A former jobseeker or retained worker who has been absent from the United Kingdom for less than 12 months may only enjoy a period of jobseeker status if they are able to provide compelling evidence of a genuine prospect of engagement from the outset. A former jobseeker or retained worker who has been continuously absent from the United Kingdom for more than 12 months will be able to enjoy a fresh period of residence as a jobseeker without being subject to the “compelling evidence” from the outset."

well I was "not absent from the UK", I was just Jobseeking 1.5 years. Now what does that mean for me?

badratio

Post by badratio » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:59 pm

SouthWest1 wrote:
badratio wrote:

what is Nope, nope and nope . you dont have to say it 3 times to get your point across.
you are wrong as PR ( if issued ) has the date of issue and not when it was obtained. my scenario was based on obtaining PR and apply straight for BC.
you are correct if she will wait for 12 months from the date of PR.

get your facts right before making comments !!!

and also, she need to wait as she had 1.5 years break in employment. her clock will straight ticking again after those 18 months.
EU laws do not work like this. you need to have continues employment with up to 6 months break max to be classified as an EEA exercising treaty rights in UK.
Ok. Ok. Ok. You need to calm down. Have a cup of liquorice tea.

All I'm saying is that you don't have to re-submit the same documents applying for BC that you submitted for PR. PR card is all you need to fulfil residence requirement. (and not a ton of payslips, bills and etc.)

BOOM!