ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP-British Citizenship-Public Funds-Family-EU employment

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sher

HSMP-British Citizenship-Public Funds-Family-EU employment

Post by Sher » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:22 pm

1.] Were one to go in for the HSMP programme and indefinite leave to remain later .... on completion of 5 years, how long does one have to wait post application for the British Citizenship?

2.] And having been naturalized as a British Citizen, would public funds then be available to me and my dependents ?
(My dependents include spouse, child under 18 years and my old parents)

3.] Post citizenship, is one employable anywhere in the EU without a work permit/ visa?

:?:
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll:

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: HSMP-British Citizenship-Public Funds-Family-EU employme

Post by Chess » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:33 pm

1.] Were one to go in for the HSMP programme and indefinite leave to remain later .... on completion of 5 years, how long does one have to wait post application for the British Citizenship?
You can apply on the day you get ILR
2.] And having been naturalized as a British Citizen, would public funds then be available to me and my dependents ?
Yes, but who knows ...the rules could have cahnged by then

3.] Post citizenship, is one employable anywhere in the EU without a work permit/ visa?

Yes
Where there is a will there is a way.

Sher

Fix on Time Period for citizenship

Post by Sher » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:21 am

Hi,

Thx for yr prompt reply.

I haven't got a fix on the time period for citizenship ....

Completion of HSMP = 4 years (say on Jan 01, 2009)

Presumably, I shall apply for ILR just before the 4 year period ends (say on Nov 01, 2008)

Now, when is the latest I can apply for British Citizenship ?

1.] as soon as I get ILR
( say on Jan 01, 2009 ....... or am I mistaken in presuming that date and there is actually a longer process and wait than that ! )

2.] or after I have completed a period of a year on ILR and therefore 5 years in toto as 'lived in Britain' ( Leaflet BN7 - Clause 3 here --- http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/ind/en ... ation.html? )

Very confused !
nJOY !

try-one
Member of Standing

confused

Post by try-one » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:49 am

You get the HSMP today, in one year you get renewal for 3 years, after you have been in this country for 4 years under the HSMP or WP or some other cathegories you apply for ILR (4 weeks before you reach the 4 year mark), then you need to live in this country for 1 year under the ILR visa and after you complete the last year under ILR you can apply for citizenship, you can apply a few weeks before the 12 months.

Now......if youa re going to be here for the next 5 years, you should try to acquire skills, experience, knowledge and habilities that would allow you to be a productive member of society, if you are going to be here 5 years just to get charity from the goverment and ask the government to pay for your costs......then my friend you are loosing your time in this world...... and then you are truly confused in life.....

Sher

Thx ...

Post by Sher » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:00 pm

Hi Try,

Thx for yr reply. It was indeed immaculate.

I understand well that England asks of you as to what you can do for the country and not what the country can do for you ....

:lol:

But, then, on a serious note, my view is that every prospective entrant to the economy should evaluate the immigration rules for 2 things :

1.] Is there a conscientious policy to re-unite families
2.] The 'welfare' nature of the state.

Why would one (esp. a Highly Skilled person) otherwise re-locate and sweat it out in a foreign land minus family and festivities ?!
Only if he were to have benefits in excess of that in his own country .....
I am sure progressive minds at work in immigration recognise this fact well.
nJOY !

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:53 pm

Sher,

I dont understand the importance of public funds here. If you are of sound mind and able body then you are not entitled to any special treatment even if you hold an ILR or a citizenship. If you are unemployed you will get really basic subsistance allowances which may not be enough to survive with a family.

Your parents may not be regarded as your dependents while you hold your HSMP status and perhaps even ILR. You will need to be a citizen and your parents over the age of 65. Search the forums for more details.

My understanding is that you need to have completed at least 5 years in the country, therefore a period of one year after ILR.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:54 pm

Sher wrote:1.] Were one to go in for the HSMP programme and indefinite leave to remain later .... on completion of 5 years, how long does one have to wait post application for the British Citizenship?
As per reply by try-one i.e 4 years to ILR then 1 year on ILR pre applying for naturalisation unless married to a British Citizen where an application can be made upon acquiring ILR. You need to add in the naturalisation processing time including the citizenship ceremonies - I expect the queues like most Home Office new policies/ schemes (sush as the HSMP) to get lengthier. These assumes you meet all the other requirements of the rules pertaining to character (I expect the introduction of a finger printing regime), residence period, soundness of mind etc.
Sher wrote:2.] And having been naturalized as a British Citizen, would public funds then be available to me and my dependents ?
Welfare requires you to meet immigration, habitual residence, income (or lack of) criteria - being naturalised in itself doesn't open you to receipt of regular large cheques :lol: . As per comments by others I wouldn't base such as a major drive for immigration anyway..the figures are small and the stigma (personal and public) unless based on health grounds huge.
Sher wrote:3.] Post citizenship, is one employable anywhere in the EU without a work permit/ visa?
EU nationals can live and work in any other member state - you must meet the relevant legislation for a particular profession if required e.g. medicine and it helps to speak the language.
Sher wrote:1.] Is there a conscientious policy to re-unite families
You can sponsor dependents classed as your:

i) legal spouse,
ii)unmarried partner (either sex) subject to meeting co-habitation requirements showing your relationship is 'akin to marriage',
iii)children under 18 years old - natural and adopted (including de-facto),
iv) parents/ grandparents - there are specific age requirements for this category as well as evaluation of compelling circumstances that are too detailed to go into,
v) The Home Office can consider an application to sponsor those who have aged out or other family members e.g. orphans as a concession outside the rules.
Sher wrote:Why would one (esp. a Highly Skilled person) otherwise re-locate and sweat it out in a foreign land minus family and festivities ?!
Only if he were to have benefits in excess of that in his own country .....
I am sure progressive minds at work in immigration recognise this fact well.
IMHO benefits here should be along the lines of 'availability of opportunity for career development' as opposed to welfare payments i.e. education, employment/ self employment including the ability to raise capital at relatively low interest rates and a climate condusive to such ie. political and economic stability..I know there is inflation but I know my 1 pound today is not going to be only worth 50 pence tomorrow or in a month unlike some other countries.

Note

All answers are based on immigration and nationality law as it currently stands - by 2009 things I suspect could very well be different.

John
United Kingdom

Public Funds?

Post by John » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:29 pm

Can I just pick up on the Public Funds question? A time-limited visa will have a "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction.

However an ILR Visa does not and accordingly there is no problem in principle with an ILR Visa holder submitting claims for Public Funds, such as Child Benefit.

Also, when can an application be made for naturalisation? If not married to a British Citizen .... after ILR held for at least one year, and also at least 5 years after arriving in the UK.