ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI or PIO

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mateen123
Newly Registered

OCI or PIO

Post by mateen123 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi Guys

I need help in deciding which one I need to apply for my son.

My son was born (Dec2013) when both me and my wife are on Indian passport. After his birth (in one month's time) I applied for my ILR in Jan 2014 and my wife on Tier-1 Dependent visa.

So once I got eligible for ILR I applied for my son's Registration in Feb 2014 and in June he got his British Passport. Meanwhile I never applied for my son's Indian passport.

So I'm not sure which one I should apply for my son now OCI card or PIO card. Please advise.

Thanks,
Mateen

RockON

Re: OCI or PIO

Post by RockON » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Read the FAQs and it should answers your questions and more.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... 43796.html
https://www.hcilondon.in/oci.html

Foreign-born children of PIOs are eligible to become OCI provided one of the parents is eligible to become OCI. That means if both parents are Indian Citizens (holding Indian passports) and the minor child is a foreign citizen, the child is not eligible to apply for OCI. For example, both parents are on ILR visa , but the minor child is a British citizen because he/she was born in the UK. In such a scenario, the child is not eligible to apply for OCI. They can apply for the PIO card instead.

All the Best

mateen123
Newly Registered

Re: OCI or PIO

Post by mateen123 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Thank you for the reply. That helps.