ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Turkish Citizen's Rights due to EEC agreement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tarzan
Newly Registered

Turkish Citizen's Rights due to EEC agreement

Post by tarzan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi,
i am a turkish citizen and will finish my 5 year work permit in december 2007.

in the following guidelines, it says a turkish citizen would not be subject to work permit after completing 48 months work permit employment. i changed my employment after finishing 48 months but how will I extend the visa when it expires, it is not mentioned on the directive.

would one of you know?

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... iew=Binary

thanks a lot
tarzan

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:43 am

This is a very delicate issue. Need to be careful and check whether this will lead you to ILR.

It is correct that you can take employment after 48 months with any employer. But switching your visa from work permit to a visa related to Europe Agreement may affect any application for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Can anyone clarify :?:

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:48 pm

if you are about to complete 5 years on a work permit I wouldn't bother going down the Ankara Agreement route, just apply for ILR.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:33 pm

VictoriaS wrote:if you are about to complete 5 years on a work permit I wouldn't bother going down the Ankara Agreement route, just apply for ILR.

Victoria
Hi Victoria

Is that true that you can not apply for ILR after having worked 5 years with Ankara Agreement?

Thanks for your help.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:26 pm

But you have worked for 5 years on a work permit, right?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:37 am

VictoriaS wrote:But you have worked for 5 years on a work permit, right?

Victoria
Well i don't know Tarzan. But my friend has been working for almost 5 years by using his rights on Ankara Agreement not work permit. He is not sure if he can apply for ILR?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:06 pm

Yes, he can apply.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 pm

VictoriaS wrote:Yes, he can apply.

Victoria
Thanks for your reply Victoria...

Though in this link it states no ILR applications were granted from Ankara Agreement yet.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/a ... final1.pdf

It also seems very complicated as Ankara Agreement has two categories:

1. Self- employment
2. Worker

Unfortunately there is almost no guidance from home Office on worker category.

After spending 4 years on work permit. I now qualify for HSMP and eventually i can apply for ILR (after 5 years). On the other hand road to ILR by Ankara Agreement seems very foggy and circuitous.

Correct me if i am wrong?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:02 pm

I would definitely go with the HSMP route if you are sure you qualify.

I have done one Ankara agreement application, and it was a nightmare. The forms are totally misleading and don't allow for all possibilities, and I don't really think the Home Office know what they are doing. I ended up sending off two different forms because it was so unclear as to which was the right one!

(it was approved in 4 weeks though!)

Then again...the Ankara agreement is free!

It's a difficult decision.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

tarzan
Newly Registered

Post by tarzan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi Victoria,
ankara agreement is known for the rights it grants to self employed Turkish citizens, but also (along with the additional protocol in 1980 i guess) it also gives additional rights to turkish workers that became part of the labor market in the Eu country. such as:
1) if one person finishes 1 year of employment with an employer, and employer still wants to employ the person, if they need to extend the work visa, governments can not reject the permit- visa application.
2) if the worker finishes 2 (or 3, not sure) years with the employer, the worker can work within the same industry but with a different employer as well, without further permit.
3) if the worker finishes 4 years of work, he can work for any employer in any industry.

thinking that I fit to the 3rd category, i was wondering if there is any experince, or guideline for those people. i wasnt intending to apply for self employed category under ankara agreement.

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:27 pm

VictoriaS wrote:I would definitely go with the HSMP route if you are sure you qualify.

I have done one Ankara agreement application, and it was a nightmare. The forms are totally misleading and don't allow for all possibilities, and I don't really think the Home Office know what they are doing. I ended up sending off two different forms because it was so unclear as to which was the right one!

(it was approved in 4 weeks though!)

Then again...the Ankara agreement is free!

It's a difficult decision.

Victoria
Thanks for your answer Victoria and well done for the approval.

By the way, was it an ILR application for a worker?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:25 pm

Yes.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi Victoria - I agree, I've done several Ankara agreement cases, and they are very complicated.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:06 am

VictoriaS wrote:Yes.

Victoria
Woouuv...That is new information for me :roll:

I trust it was after 5 years not 4?

by the way many thanks for the clarifications you've made.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:20 am

It wasn't a permanent residence application, just a switch from dependent of an EEA national to leave to remain under the Ankara agreement. Still a pain in the @rse though.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:40 pm

VictoriaS wrote:It wasn't a permanent residence application, just a switch from dependent of an EEA national to leave to remain under the Ankara agreement. Still a pain in the @rse though.

Victoria
"Thanks for your answer Victoria and well done for the approval.
By the way, was it an ILR application for a worker?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes.
Victoria"

Oh so you have misread my question... As you have said yes to ILR.

So you have not done or heard any application for Indefinite Leave to Remain with Ankara Agreement?