ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh or not

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nirmal_kishore

Surinder Singh or not

Post by nirmal_kishore » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:59 am

Hello
I've gone over a number of posts and many other websites but could not find something that quite matches my situation hence this post.

I am a British Citizen, my wife has ILR and we have 2 children both British Citizens. Prior to moving to the UK we lived in Ireland for about 5 years on basis of a work-permit. My parents didn't visit me during our stay in Ireland. I am now exploring the possibility of bringing my parents over to the UK using the Surinder Singh route. My question is whether I can exercise EU treaty rights based on the fact that I previously lived (and it was the centre of life for me) in Ireland which is an EU state? By the way I moved to the UK in 2007 in case there is a limit on how far back my EEA stay can go.

Is there anyone out there who's in a similar situation or thoroughly understands the Surinder Singh route that can answer my query please?

thanks
Nirmal

dalebutt

Re: Surinder Singh or not

Post by dalebutt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:36 pm

You will not be able to use the surinder singh route, the family member you wish to sponsor must have resided with you in Ireland to engage a right of return.