ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling With Two Passports

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

papimauri
Newly Registered

Travelling With Two Passports

Post by papimauri » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:46 pm

I live in the UK and hold dual citizenship (Brazilian and Polish), and two passports. I'm going to travel to the USA soon, but just realized this: My USA visitor visa is in my Brazilian passport. So I'm wondering how to manage it all in terms of which passport to show and where.
It is my understanding that I should leave and enter a country with the same passport, so it would make sense that I:

- Leave the UK with my Polish passport.
- Enter and the USA with my Brazilian passport (with the USA visa)
- Leave the USA with my Brazilian passport
- Enter the UK with my Polish passport.

Is that correct? My only other question would be in terms of airline checks: if I'm leaving the USA with my Brazilian passport, they might enquire about a UK visa in order to allow me to fly back. Do I then explain the dual citizenship?

Thanks in advance,
Papi Mauri

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Travelling With Two Passports

Post by MPH80 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:18 pm

You don't have to show anything to immigration to exit the UK - so there's no need to show your passport to anyone other than airline staff.

At which point - it looks like this:

On exit from UK - Brazilian (to show your US visa)
On entry to US - Brazilian

There's also no exit check out of the US except for the airline - but the US likes to check stuff - so
On exit from the US - Brazilian
On entry to UK - Polish

Just show both passports if anyone at US exit asks.

M.

papimauri
Newly Registered

Re: Travelling With Two Passports

Post by papimauri » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Thank you M!