ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual citizenship: British/Italian for EEA FP. Advice please!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mahalmou
Newly Registered

Dual citizenship: British/Italian for EEA FP. Advice please!

Post by mahalmou » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi. I got married last month with my British/Italian Citizen boyfriend and we are planning to comeback to UK for good, we are living in other EU member state. He is living here since he was a kid and me since I was 13 (my parents lives here) but I've been jumping around because I go to school in Philippines and I still hold a Philippine passport.

Are we allowed to use his Italian citizenship to apply EEA Family permit? Or do we need to use his British citizenship and apply through Surinder Singh route? I know we can use his Bcitizenship because he is living in Cyprus for a long time but to be honest, it is more complicated than using his Icitizenship.

Please advice me on what we need to do.

Mrs.mdeben

Re: Dual citizenship: British/Italian for EEA FP. Advice ple

Post by Mrs.mdeben » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:31 am

Hi, my case is the same with you but the advice to me is renounce the british citizenship which we didnt do and just did the Surinder Singh route. SSRoute is very complicated but we dont have any choice at the moment we applied for it. As far as I know, renouncing citizenship can take 2months or more and we cant really afford to wait for it. Im still waiting for the decision so cant really tell you what happen.

Anyway,mgoodluck to you xxx

majamcr

Post by majamcr » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Since July 2012 dual British/other EEA nationals are treated as solely British. This means that you cannot rely on your husband's Italian citizenship to use the EEA route into the UK (unless, to my understanding, you already held an EEA family permit before the rules changed). So unless your husband renounces his British citizenship (which seems unnecessary as you live in another EEA country), you need to use the Surinder Singh route.

jbminger
Ireland

Post by jbminger » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:32 pm

The Singh route should be a viable option for you if you are living/working in another EEA member state and your non-eea family member is living/working there with you in that member state. Of course there is the recent addition that your life must center in that member state before your return to the UK.