ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in the UK for a foreign company!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

scl83
Newly Registered

Working in the UK for a foreign company!

Post by scl83 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Hello,

My girlfriend is an EU resident and will be moving to the UK soon to live with me, however, she currently has a travelling job with a company based in Denmark - is she still able to work for that company and travel around the world doing that job while living in the UK? Obviously she is paid by a foreign company, but my understanding with the EU is, that you can live anywhere in Europe as long as you can sustain yourself financially. Does anyone know if this is ok?

Quick sum up:

She Works for a Danish company
She Wants to live in England and her company have said she can do the job from the UK
Is this allowed?

drinver
Newly Registered
China

Re: Working in the UK for a foreign company!

Post by drinver » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:20 am

Is your girlfriend a national of an EU country? If so then I think she is free to relocate for work. If not, then she will need to obtain a visa to work in the UK with sponsorship from her employer.

scl83
Newly Registered

Post by scl83 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:30 am

Morning!

Yes my girlfriend is an EU National from Denmark.

Our goal is to live in the UK and start a new life there and it would just be amazing for her to keep her travelling job from Denmark as it pays very well!

I just wasn't sure how it would work with paying taxes or national insurance etc if the money is coming from a foreign country! :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:46 am

AIUI if here employer has no UK office she'd be paid still in Danish Crowns or Euro (cant remember if they have the Euro or not) which might not be a problem, but the exchange rate hit and banks charges for converting can be an annoying PITA. When I was in same situation I got charged something like £35 plus a crap exchange rate...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

85 East
United Kingdom

Post by 85 East » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 am

scl83 wrote:Morning!
I just wasn't sure how it would work with paying taxes or national insurance etc if the money is coming from a foreign country! :)
This probably isn't the right forum to get advice on taxes/NI, I suspect that she will fall into the EU cross border workers category http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/ta ... dex_en.htm. She will have to pay tax somewhere, either Denmark or the UK, and I don't think she will have automatic NHS access if she continues to be registered in Denmark. You will need to check these out. It is also worth checking http://www.hmrc.gov.uk, and possibly calling their advice line to see if they can offer any guidance.