ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying British Passport from India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

TestRunner
Newly Registered

Applying British Passport from India

Post by TestRunner » Thu May 22, 2014 12:56 am

Hello All,

I have applied for my British Citizenship application on 31-March-2014 and my decision letter was despatched from HO on 19-March-2014 (confirmed from HO customer centre) and I am expecting the letter before the end of this week. If all goes well, I am planning to attend a private/group ceremony before the end of this month (confirmed from my council that there are some places left for the ceremony during the last week).

Now, I would have to travel to India by 4th or 5th June 2014 and unfortunately I would have to stay there for the next 6-8 months time due to my family circumstance (will have to look after my mother-in-law).

I would like to get some feedback on applying for British passport from India. Here is the link that I referred:
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y ... dult/india

1. From the above link, it looks like it takes around 16 weeks to process the passport application from India. I would be travelling from UK to India using my Indian PP under the 90 day 'grace period'. Since, the passport application time line from India would exceed my grace period, would my stay in India cause any problem ?

2. Assuming I receive my passport after 16 weeks time (which is 4 months), what would happen if I surrender my PP in India ?

3. Would there be any problem when I try to apply for my OCI from India (after exceeding my 90 day grace period) ?

Any help on this is really appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Re: Applying British Passport from India

Post by Aryan2013 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:36 am

Hi TestRunner,
Guess, you are in India now. I am in the same situation as yours, do you think its good idea to apply from India and also is it possible to surrender Indian PP and OCI while you are in India?