ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU students and comprehensive sickness insurance

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amira87
Newly Registered

EU students and comprehensive sickness insurance

Post by amira87 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi all.

I want to apply for EEA3 and later for my husband who is not EU citizen for EEA4. I've been working part-time for the past 5 years but at the same time I was also a full time student. My part-time work involved at least 15 hours per week most times. I only now became aware that EU students must hold a comprehensive sickness insurance. Is this true for students who work part-time and pay N.I. from their salaries?

I've been searching for answers all over the place, but I cannot find any information...Please, your answers would be very very needed.

Thanks a lot!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: EU students and comprehensive sickness insurance

Post by chaoclive » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:50 am

If you have been working at least 15 hours per week for the last 5 years you are eligible to apply as a worker and there's no need to mention that you're a student!

Do you have employment contracts, pay slips, P45s etc?

amira87
Newly Registered

Post by amira87 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:43 am

Thanks for your reply. I have been seeking advice from everywhere, and one solicitor advised me to mention that both on the application form... That is that I've been working part-time for the continuous 5 years as well as that I was a student for the past 4 years, because by this way the Home Office will not be able to say anything against the fact I only had a part-time job. Apparently, they could refuse my application if they do not think I earned sufficient amount of money etc...But obviously, the problem is I do not have a comprehensive sickness insurance, I never had one....if i get one now, which the solicitor advised me to do, does it have to be from the UK or one from my country is acceptable as well?

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:30 am

An EU law right to reside is established if the EEA national fits into one of the following categories:

a worker;
students;

It does't say that you have to work full time for 5 years. If you work 12+ PER WEEK is more then enough. I believe you are a registered worker ( WRS certificate ) so that's why your husband has been issued EEA2 residence card before

Don't mention that you are a student
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

amira87
Newly Registered

Post by amira87 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:48 am

askmeplz82 wrote:An EU law right to reside is established if the EEA national fits into one of the following categories:

a worker;
students;

It does't say that you have to work full time for 5 years. If you work 12+ PER WEEK is more then enough. I believe you are a registered worker ( WRS certificate ) so that's why your husband has been issued EEA2 residence card before

Okay, thank you. That's what I decided as well to do. If I mentioned that I was a student, I think it would get rejected since I dont have CSI. and yes, I do have a WRS certificate, so that should be all right. If I get the PR for myself first, do you know if the HO will require the same documents again when we apply for my husband's EEA4?

badratio

Post by badratio » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:24 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:An EU law right to reside is established if the EEA national fits into one of the following categories:

a worker;
students;

I was in the similar situation.

I was working 6 hours per week (around £300 per month) when I was a student. Applied for PR as a worker and self-employed in the 6 months of 5 year requirement earning even less (didn't mention that I was studying) and got PR granted without a problem.

You will be fine.
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

tobefree
Newly Registered

Post by tobefree » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:35 am

amira87 wrote:

a worker;
students;

Okay, thank you. That's what I decided as well to do. If I mentioned that I was a student, I think it would get rejected since I dont have CSI. and yes, I do have a WRS certificate, so that should be all right. If I get the PR for myself first, do you know if the HO will require the same documents again when we apply for my husband's EEA4?
Hi amira87

What is a result of your application? I have exactly the same situation as you.

martyna92
Newly Registered

Post by martyna92 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello,

I'm in an almost identical situation, being a part time worker, while studying full time for my BSc without CSI. I am currently filling out an online application where one of the questions is "Have you been a student or done vocational training since entering the UK?", which I have been, doing my undergrad degree for 3 years. I answered yes and they ask you for details of the uni, course, start and end date, which is fine. The next question is "Were you a student or self-sufficient person?". Logically speaking, yes I was a student, but I don't want my application to be considered on a basis of me being a student, because I know it would be refused (no CSI). However, I'm wondering if I say yes and explain how I supported myself, which is through employment and partially through student finance (I guess, I don't have to mention that!) I would still be able to apply as a worker, since I worked throughout my studies? Or should I just answer no to being a student? Will it look weird if I say, yes I studied for 3 years, but no, I wasn't a student?

They don't seem to consider a scenario where you are both a student and a worker at the same time.

Any advice would be much appreciated!