ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US wife's application for spouse visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ChrisSmith
Newly Registered

US wife's application for spouse visa

Post by ChrisSmith » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:08 am

My American wife is due to shortly apply for a spouse visa to join me (a UK citizen) here in the UK. We are concerned about the financial aspect of my sponsorship - I am a full-time student and my income is low. We expect, with my part-time work and bursary, to be able to get by, tho it will be tight.
What I'd like some opinions on is whether my low income status - with no appreciable savings, tho my wife has some - would go against us, and whether having a second sponsor would be a good idea. At the moment I guess I'm thinking of my mum - what kind of info / documentation would I need to include in the application from her? Bank statements and a sponsorship letter of course, but how about certified copy of passport? Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:20 am

In the case that you are not going to be entirely sufficient financially, it is normal for the parents to chip in and so a letter from your mom should be of help especially if you are young and live with your parents. So, a letter she can give stating that and a copy of the title deed should be of help.

How else will your mom be helping you out? A certified copy of her passport? Not necessary. Maybe the birth certiticate to prove that she is your mom.
Jabi

ChrisSmith
Newly Registered

Post by ChrisSmith » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:26 am

I don't live with my mum - I flew the coop, er, "several" years ago!
Would it be sufficient to just include a letter from her, stating her willingness to "help out" if necessary? How about bank statements? Would they be required?

Many thanks for the reply

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:35 am

I do not know categorically how a letter of "willingness to help" will be viewed by an embassy. The only cases i know of are of the 'help or no-help' category.

But, considering that she is a US national and assuming she will be applying from there, I hope it should be deemed favourabily taking into consideration the low rejection rates for such visas the North American British embassies.
Jabi

limey

Post by limey » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:59 pm

Chris: Do u have citizenship of any other EU country apart from the UK?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:52 pm

If your mum is going to help out then you will need a letter of support, three months of her bank statements and payslips if available.

I also recommend a large bunch of flowers for her when the visa is approved!

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

ChrisSmith
Newly Registered

Post by ChrisSmith » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:16 pm

limey - I am a British citizen, that's all.

VictoriaS - thanks for your reply. She's a pensioner so I guess payslips are out of the question. I was thinking we could use a statement of her savings to show an ability to provide some financial support to us initially. How about certified passport photocopies - would they be required?

Thank you

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:24 pm

No, just the bank statements showing savings, and a letter from her.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

ChrisSmith
Newly Registered

Post by ChrisSmith » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Many thanks for your help, it's appreciated.
now I'm off to the florist :wink:

ChrisSmith
Newly Registered

Post by ChrisSmith » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:56 pm

Can a friend of my wife act as a co-sponsor? He is a US resident/citizen. Would this be looked at favourably? Or does it have to be a relative?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:14 am

Unfortunately, Third Party support is no longer permitted.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!