ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

right of abode query

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

neti

right of abode query

Post by neti » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi,

Me and my partner have settlement visa in UK. When our child was born, i had settlement visa. since child was born in uk whom one of parents was settled in uk at time of birth - i think my child is british citizen by birth.

i want child to decide whether he wants british citizenship or indian citizenship when child turns 18.

so i decided to register child as indian national by descent with high commission in london, and get his indian passport.

Please can expert, gurus help me if this is right or wrong

1. Child is british citizen by birth so acquiring indian nationality does not impact child.
2. I can apply for 'Certificate of Entitlement for Right of abode' in his indian passport, once i have indian passport for child.
3. 'Certificate of Entitlement for Right of abode' is same as having british passport while entering or leaving britain.
4. If in future, i need to apply for british passport for child, this will not be issue; as child will never loose British nationality automatically (even if it stays out of uk for 5 years at same time)
5. if and when i apply for child's british passport child should give away indian nationality as india does not allow dual nationality.
6. upto age of 18 - indian passport with 'CoE RoA' stamp in it, will effectively mean child has dual nationality, without breaking any law;
7. india allows this since it is not possible to give away child's british nationality until he turns 18.

Since I am building my understanding just by reading information on internet; i will be very greatful if someone expert/guru/ knowledgable person helps me please.

regards
neti

neti

Re: right of abode query

Post by neti » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:54 pm

Hello,

Please can someone help me understand this,

is is Legal to travel in and out of india to UK using indian passport with 'Certificate of Entitlement for Right of Abode' stamped in indian passport for child which is born in UK to indian citizen parents with ILR ?

regards,
neti