ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

H1-B Visa interview in London: some question

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lanwarrior

H1-B Visa interview in London: some question

Post by lanwarrior » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:01 pm

Hi all,

I have a job offer from a US company and they're processing my H1-B petition with Premium Processing (15 days processing time). Once it is approved, I'd have to apply for the actual H1-B visa in London. According to US Embassy website, I have to make an appointment by calling their Operator-Assisted (OA) number.

Some questions regarding the H1-B visa application in London:

1) How early can I make an appointment for a specific date? I predict I will receive the H1-B petition approval and all the paperwork sometimes near end of July. Thus, I'd like to call NOW to make an appointment for end of July. I.e. call July 2 to make appointment for July 27.

2) How is the "backlog" with the appointment timeline nowadays? I.e. appointment are fully booked forthe next 3-4 weeks.

3) Besides the documents listed in US Embassy website (I-797, passport, photo, etc.), what other documents should I bring during the interview? I.e. bank statement, offer letter, etc.? I assume I don't have to bring too much since I am not working in the US at this moment and not need to show "ties" with UK since I'll be working in the US anyway.

4) FYI, I am in UK under HSMP. I've been working in the US under H1-B in the past but never applied from the US Embassy in London before.

Thanks!

gilgr097
Newly Registered

Post by gilgr097 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:58 pm

I called to try and book an interview and the operator said to check on the webiste to see the date range that interview bookings are now available. But as a guide he said that 6-8 weeks ahead is the norm.

If you are under HSMP in the UK what is your native country? I am from NZ and just received H1b approval and was hoping to interview in London as I am away travelling. What are your thoughts on applying in a country but your own?

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:06 am

gilgr097 wrote:I called to try and book an interview and the operator said to check on the webiste to see the date range that interview bookings are now available. But as a guide he said that 6-8 weeks ahead is the norm.
Which website, US Embassy in London? I search for this interview bookings date but couldn't find it. Can you provide me with the link?
gilgr097 wrote:What are your thoughts on applying in a country but your own?
I had applied for both tourist and H1-B visa in Singapore, which is not my native country and it was fine. What I found out, generally, is that applying for a visa in a country that is not your native country is allowed PROVIDED that you're in that country as a permanent residence. So at the time, I was a permanent residence and working there and can apply with no problem.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: if I want to change my appointment date, I can easily send an email to the US Embassy in Singapore and it'll be done right away. For the US Embassy in London, it seems that I have to call the OA number again at GBP 1.20 / minute. Is that true?

However, it seems that US Embassy in each country have different rules when it comes to applying for non-immigrant visa. In Singapore, I didn't have to make an appointment, I just sent my passport and I-797 via courier and the Embassy officer contacted me to set the date of the appointment.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:42 am

Anyone?

kal

Post by kal » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi boys,

I am also thinking to attended Interview in London Embassy.

can sombody tell me what are th things do I need to take care of before going to interview. I have got all my papers from my employer.

Please guide me.

Thanks

srinivas9
Newly Registered

VISA INTERVIEW WAIT TIME

Post by srinivas9 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:09 am

Hello I got my visa interview for H1-B for the FY2008 on AUG 9th.
If any one looking for visa wait time, u can find the time by simply selecting the place name where you are going to attend the interview by clicking on the below link.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/ ... &x=80&y=16

And also remember if u keep on trying the above link u may get a chance of early date.

cheers,
srinivas.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:19 am

All,

I just completed my visa interview and it was a breeze.

The interview only took about 5 minutes and the visa was approved and sent to me via courier in 48 hours.

I believe the speed of the processing is because this is the THIRD time I have applied for H-1B visa. I have also worked in the US previously for about 8 years under 2 separate H-1B.

kal

Re: VISA INTERVIEW WAIT TIME

Post by kal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:53 am

Hi Srinivas,

I am also attending my interview at london embassy on 9th Aug.
would you like to share ur phone no with me.
Could you pls tell me is it compulsory to bring the Educational evaluation to the london embassy itnerview???

Thanks

Kal
srinivas9 wrote:Hello I got my visa interview for H1-B for the FY2008 on AUG 9th.
If any one looking for visa wait time, u can find the time by simply selecting the place name where you are going to attend the interview by clicking on the below link.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/ ... &x=80&y=16

And also remember if u keep on trying the above link u may get a chance of early date.

cheers,
srinivas.

kal

Post by kal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:54 am

Hi Ianwarrior,

Congratulations man ! well done.

would you like to share ur experience in details with us please.
and is it compulsory to bring the educational evaluation to the interview?? pls guide.

would you like to share ur phone no with us

Thanks
Kal
lanwarrior wrote:All,

I just completed my visa interview and it was a breeze.

The interview only took about 5 minutes and the visa was approved and sent to me via courier in 48 hours.

I believe the speed of the processing is because this is the THIRD time I have applied for H-1B visa. I have also worked in the US previously for about 8 years under 2 separate H-1B.

UK2US
Newly Registered

I am also attending interview from London

Post by UK2US » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Hi Kal,

Colud you please give me your contact no please. i would like discuss my about my case with you.

thanks,

Raghav

niranjany
Newly Registered

Post by niranjany » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:11 pm

guys,

how many days it will take to get the nearest H1B interview appointment at london??

sanna_san
Newly Registered

Are U Through With Your Interview????

Post by sanna_san » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:34 am

Hi Kal,

Even I am one among others who have an approved H1B in June and currently on a HSMP here.Planning to apply from London for the first time for the stamping.It looks like you know quite a bit about it from what I have seen here.It will be highly appriciated if you could provide me with your mobile number.

Cheers!!!
San

kal wrote:Hi boys,

I am also thinking to attended Interview in London Embassy.

can sombody tell me what are th things do I need to take care of before going to interview. I have got all my papers from my employer.

Please guide me.

Thanks