ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Hi

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ish_78

Hi

Post by ish_78 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:12 pm

Hi,

I am working in UK for past 2 and half years on work permit.
I have heard that if a person is on student visa then his/her dependent can work in UK on dependent visa irrespective of need of work permit or something like that. so My question is :

If I choose to go for dependent visa and then apply for ILR after 1.5 years keeping in mind that I have already spent 2.5 years on work permit. Will it cause any problems on getting the ILR?

Any comments..

Regards

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:24 pm

I dont think you can do that.

For ILR, you can club together visas that lead to settlement and IMHO, a dependent visa of student is not one that leads to settlement.

For example you can spend 2.5 years on a WP and 1.5 on a HSMP and that will lead to ILR because both visa categories lead to settlement at the end of 4 years.

Look at their website for more details:
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:27 pm

WP is a category conducng to settlement, student visa is not. You might be able to work as a dependant but that won't count as part of the 4 years for the ILR. You might need to stay 10 years and apply for the ILR then.......
That's my understanding.
So, no, you can not apply for ILR after 1.5 years working as dependant of a student visa holder.

(that would be a nice option though)........I'm in your same situation, got here in nov 2002......and counting every day....

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:31 pm

Checkmate

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 14:34 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Student Visa (unless held for 10yrs) or student depedant visa is NOT a category leading to settlement and does not qualify for the requrements of ILR