ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parent born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

Parent born in UK

Post by tulipz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi,
Im posting on behalf of a friend. Her mum was born in the UK but she moved back to India and took up Indian citizenship. This was back in the 1960s.

Is my friend eligible for UK citizenship ?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Parent born in UK

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Doubt it, since India doesn't allow dual citizenship, and if she had British Citizenship she'd have lost it then.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tulipz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Her mum doesnt have/never had british citizenship.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:27 pm

If your friend's mum was born in the UK prior to 1983 and was not a daughter of a diplomat or enemy aliens, then your friend's mum was automatically British.

Your friend's mum may still be British, if she didn't formally renounce her British citizenship.

When was your friend born? Assuming that your friend's mum was British at the time of your friend's birth, then your friend may be entitled to register if she was born prior to 1983. Else, she may automatically be British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tulipz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:30 am

Thank you - Vinny and wanderer

Details:

Friend's mum: born in london in 1960's to Indian parents. Mum's parents were in London for a few years as her father was a research associate on a project. They returned to India in 3yrs and the mum lived in India ever since. She has an Indian passport. She never claimed Or renounced British Citizenship

Friend: Born in India in 1992. She is in London now, on a student visa, doing her masters in LSE.

If my friend qualifies for British citizen ship,

1. Does her mum need to apply for citizenship first?
2. What are the next steps for my friend?

Pls advice

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 am

It would appear she's automatically British by descent. She should apply for confirmation of British nationality.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tulipz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Thank you.

What are the next steps in the process?

Who can she contact to take this further? Is there a public office or something where she can go and discuss her case?

Please let me know....

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:37 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.