ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visitor marriage visa and ceremony queries

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hurrimark
Newly Registered

visitor marriage visa and ceremony queries

Post by hurrimark » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi there I have a few queries regarding my upcoming marriage, later this year in the UK.

1. If I have a ceremony abroad in a none EU country before my UK ceremony, if no certificate is signed or registered
this would be ok to have before the UK ceremony?

2. If the ceremony went ahead in the non eu country before the UK ceremony and we signed a certificate and registered it in that country, are we not allowed to have the ceremony in the UK? Or would it not be legally recognised here unless we registered it here?

3. If the above is correct, could we change our ceremony to a vow renewal (UK one) instead and if so is a marriage visitor visa needed for this type of ceremony?

thank you very much for any help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: visitor marriage visa and ceremony queries

Post by Casa » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:30 pm

1. Yes
2. No. You can't marry twice.
3. Not required for a marriage 'blessing' but you would need to show strong reasons for your spouse to leave the UK without overstaying a family visitor visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

hurrimark
Newly Registered

Post by hurrimark » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Casa wrote:1. Yes
2. No. You can't marry twice.
3. Not required for a marriage 'blessing' but you would need to show strong reasons for your spouse to leave the UK without overstaying a family visitor visa.
Thank you very much. So you're saying that if we were to have a vow renewal instead, it would be best to apply for a family visitor visa but no visa would be strictly necessary for this?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:45 pm

You don't need a visa specifically for the marriage 'blessing' but you will of course have to apply for an entry visa. I'm assuming your future wife doesn't intend to settle here.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

hurrimark
Newly Registered

Post by hurrimark » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Casa wrote:You don't need a visa specifically for the marriage 'blessing' but you will of course have to apply for an entry visa. I'm assuming your future wife doesn't intend to settle here.
We don't intend to settle here straight away no, but in the future we would like to - but not right now.
She is from a country which allows her to stay the period she is staying (1 month) without a visa so I don't
think it's necessary for that? As long as she has ID number on her personal bio page.