ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can an eu residence card holder visit the uk without a visa?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

judasiscariot
Newly Registered

Can an eu residence card holder visit the uk without a visa?

Post by judasiscariot » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:33 am

Can an eu residence card holder (eu family member) spouse visit the uk without a visa? I have the czech residence card (family member of eu citizen) can I visit the uk without a visa or do i need to travel with my eu spouse to be able to travel to the uk without visa? At the moment i can travel to many eu countries without a visa and without my spouse travelling along. I just want to know if the uk allows this. I know that ireland does not allow it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can an eu residence card holder visit the uk without a v

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:39 am

It would help if you said what your nationality is?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

judasiscariot
Newly Registered

Post by judasiscariot » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:57 am

I'm a nigerian,
thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:39 pm

No you cant.

You don't hold a qualifying residence card.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Praha
Newly Registered

Post by Praha » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:51 am

Obie wrote:No you cant.

You don't hold a qualifying residence card.
what makes a residence card qualifying and not?
I am in the same situation, I live and work in Prague ,czech Republic, I am from Morocco and have an indefinite Residence card. My wife is Czek.

And what about this:

Article 5(2) of the Directive provides that possession of a valid residence card referred to in
Article 10 of the Directive exempts third country family members from the visa requirement.

Thank you in advance.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:57 am

Only German and Estonian resident card holder can travel here . But you can visit many other countries but not UK
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:22 am

Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

claraluh
United Kingdom

Post by claraluh » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:16 am

askmeplz82 wrote:Only German and Estonian resident card holder can travel here . But you can visit many other countries but not UK
Are you sure about that?

I have friends in Belgium with a Belgium residence card who have travelled many times to england without applying for a visa before. Of course you will have to go through immigration control and show evidences that you are only traveling for short visits and show return tickets and enough money to spend while in uk, but sometimes they just ask for a return ticket.

Praha
Newly Registered

Post by Praha » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:20 am

My RC card looks like this: http://plzen.idnes.cz/urad-primo-v-hype ... zpravy_alt

I don´t understand what has the estonian and german RC which my card doesn´t have.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Praha wrote:My RC card looks like this: http://plzen.idnes.cz/urad-primo-v-hype ... zpravy_alt

I don´t understand what has the estonian and german RC which my card doesn´t have.
Don't think the UK immigration authorities will care about what you think to be honest. The rule is that German/Estonian residence card holders don't need a visa to visit the UK. The UK government says that other people should get an EEA Family Permit. Of course, you could try to cross the border from France. It should be fine overland.

Praha
Newly Registered

Post by Praha » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:46 am

chaoclive wrote:
Praha wrote:My RC card looks like this: http://plzen.idnes.cz/urad-primo-v-hype ... zpravy_alt

Don't think the UK immigration authorities will care about what you think to be honest. The rule is that German/Estonian residence card holders don't need a visa to visit the UK. The UK government says that other people should get an EEA Family Permit. Of course, you could try to cross the border from France. It should be fine overland.
what the difference to cross from France or on air?
Also, I read that Estonian and German RC are accepted because they are made in English, so I have a question, my RC is same as zcek ID, exactly same, and in the same language, so why an ID holder can use it to enter UK and an RC holder can´t?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Praha wrote:
chaoclive wrote:

what the difference to cross from France or on air?
Also, I read that Estonian and German RC are accepted because they are made in English, so I have a question, my RC is same as zcek ID, exactly same, and in the same language, so why an ID holder can use it to enter UK and an RC holder can´t?
How would you propose to get on a flight? The UK law says that it isn't accepted so it's unlikely that the airline would let you fly. If you want to try flying, go ahead and report your experience here. I wouldn't try. Also, you can enter by land and ask for Code 1A (stamp) if you are traveling with your spouse/family member.

There is a difference between an ID card and a RC: is one is for citizens/PR holders and the other for people who are still subject to immigration control, is that right? I guess your RC states the words (or Czech equivalent of) 'residence card', not 'identity card'.

Praha
Newly Registered

Post by Praha » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:00 am

chao,

Yes I want to try it from Bratislava airport "Slovakia" to Luton airport with Ryanair or from Vienna airport to Gatwick airport with "easyjet".

My question about RC and ID card was about the fact that both of them are written in Czek, for somebody who doesn´t speak Czek, it would be impossible to know which one is the Id card and which one is the RC.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:03 am

You would be best to email Easyjet/Ryanair and ask them first but I doubt that it will be allowed.

I know what you mean about the language on the card, but I'm sure that the immigration staff have some form of training on how to recognize which card is which. I don't know how they do this but it may be the key words at the top or the number on the card.

Praha
Newly Registered

Post by Praha » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:25 am

I will definitely email them, thanks.
What I said about RC and ID card, it was to answer people who said that Uk allow RC holders from Estonia and Germany because their RC is kind of sofisticated, like an Id card.

toofan
Member of Standing

Post by toofan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:54 pm

its worth trying but as far as ukba does not allow other countries issued RC . IT might t fibe difficult to travel by air as air lines dont want to get fine .
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:06 am

It can't be that the British accept German (and Estonian) cards RC's that not need a visa just because their layout and language. The Dutch RC is exactly the same as the German only it's written in NL-EN instead of GER-EN... Must be another silly reason.

It's a pity though that they make things so complicated to get a visa in advance for Schengen immigrants with national married) partner. In various EU states you cannot apply at the British embassy but would need to go to a mobile biometric office and pay for the application being send to the UK (about 50 euro's from NL to UK). Hardly the fast and free visa issuing as per 2004/38/EC.. kinda takes the motivation away for a quick and spontaneous weekend to say London... Most likely won't get aboard an aeroplane, restricting travel to crossing the channel by ferry or train there were the British have borderguards on the mainland who can use a fancy 1A stamp (if you show you fall under 2004/38/EC) ... next year we may you just that though it would be more welcome if they accept other Schengen RCs too... Or would issue visa via all embassies throughout the EU without hassle or cost with 1-2 weeks. Guess they don't like tourists (with non EU partners) from the mainland to come and spend money in the UK, they certainly are not promotimg it with the hassle involved.

hela
Newly Registered

Post by hela » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:41 pm

Im Tunisian living with my french husband in uk and i have eea family member resident card.
do i need visa to go to france for a few days with my husband?

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:55 pm

hela wrote:Im Tunisian living with my french husband in uk and i have eea family member resident card.
do i need visa to go to france for a few days with my husband?

No : enjoy your holiday
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021