ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Finding Work abroad Language Barrier Question

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jIMMy 2x
Newly Registered

Finding Work abroad Language Barrier Question

Post by jIMMy 2x » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:01 am

Hi guys :)
i'm currently thinking of packing my bags and moving abroad and would like some info regarding the language barrier problems i may face as i only speak english. i'm considering somewhere in the EU as i have no qualifications and realize that pretty much writes off my chances of obtaining a Visa for elsewhere. i would be looking for any old min wage job at first and just wondered if that would be as easy as it is here in the UK or would i have difficulty? here i can just walk into an agency,fill out a form and wait for a call saying they have work or walk up to a builder and ask if he needs any help.could i do that in say ..France of Germany or would i have problems communicating with them?

i'm sure some places are more "english friendly" than others and that's basically what i'm trying to find out here.any help is much appreciated.i will reply asap to any questions-thanks

Donutz

Re: Finding Work abroad Language Barrier Question

Post by Donutz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:16 am

Are you British (national)? In that case your main concern would be finding a job within reasonable time -max 3 months- or it could become a very expensive holiday. Have you checked the EU webpage on migration (travel, work, ...) within the EU?

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/index_en.htm

Try Belgium, NL, Ger, ..??... And touristic area's if language is a barrier.

jIMMy 2x
Newly Registered

Post by jIMMy 2x » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:30 pm

Donutz wrote:Are you British (national)? In that case your main concern would be finding a job within reasonable time -max 3 months- or it could become a very expensive holiday. Have you checked the EU webpage on migration (travel, work, ...) within the EU?

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/index_en.htm

Try Belgium, NL, Ger, ..??... And touristic area's if language is a barrier.
There doesn't seem to be any information about language barriers on the link provided.Yes i'm a British national and realize i would have limited time in finding a job

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:39 pm

There is no need to put yourself under pressure of trying to secure employment within 3 months of entry, if you are not requesting for state help, then nobody even knows you are there, you can stay for as long as you as required till you secure employment. if you do require help from the state, you may be able to stay up to 6 months and must prove you have reasonable chance of getting a job.

jIMMy 2x
Newly Registered

Post by jIMMy 2x » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:32 pm

dalebutt wrote:There is no need to put yourself under pressure of trying to secure employment within 3 months of entry, if you are not requesting for state help, then nobody even knows you are there, you can stay for as long as you as required till you secure employment. if you do require help from the state, you may be able to stay up to 6 months and must prove you have reasonable chance of getting a job.
got ya

How would a British national like myself go about getting state help in another EU country.could i just apply when there or would i need to be claiming in the UK first?

still that's not my main worry.i just want to find out just how difficult it will be to find unskilled work and which country's would be best for overcoming the language barrier?

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:56 pm

You don't have to claiming here first before you will be entitled to claim in the new member state you move to, if you are claiming before moving, you can also transfer it over, the benefit system varies by individual member state, most country in Northern and Western Europe will require you to register your address before you will be able to access the system, that is one hell of a hurdle in itself. It is not easy as it used to with regards unskilled job with little or no knowledge of local language, some countries pay for integration course, some do not, some provide loan towards integration courses.

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:15 pm

1st of all you lucky being British because of no worries about immigration issues :wink: . 2ndly if you don't hold any qualification, foreign language, skill/talent & financial resources then better to stay here in UK and try to find unskilled job while acquiring on the other hand some new talent/foreign language/course etc. I am pretty sure that comparatively UK is still better than many countries in many ways.
"Words build bridges into unexplored regions" Adolf Hitler

jIMMy 2x
Newly Registered

Post by jIMMy 2x » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:36 pm

UKBA HUNTER wrote:1st of all you lucky being British because of no worries about immigration issues :wink: . 2ndly if you don't hold any qualification, foreign language, skill/talent & financial resources then better to stay here in UK and try to find unskilled job while acquiring on the other hand some new talent/foreign language/course etc. I am pretty sure that comparatively UK is still better than many countries in many ways.
so you think it would be very difficult for me to find a minimum wage job? i'm really determined to relocate and would like to get a better idea of just how hard it would be.surely there are some country's i'd do ok in?

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:39 pm

You may struggle,very much likely so in the beginning, the systems in these countries aren't as flexible as the UK, If you can get yourself affordable accomondation in the start then the prospect may be favourable, It will depend on your motives of moving, there are countries which are doing better than the UK in the Europe, but it all depends on what exactly you want as different countries offers different opportunities .

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:57 pm

jIMMy 2x wrote:
UKBA HUNTER wrote:1st of all you lucky being British because of no worries about immigration issues :wink: . 2ndly if you don't hold any qualification, foreign language, skill/talent & financial resources then better to stay here in UK and try to find unskilled job while acquiring on the other hand some new talent/foreign language/course etc. I am pretty sure that comparatively UK is still better than many countries in many ways.
so you think it would be very difficult for me to find a minimum wage job? i'm really determined to relocate and would like to get a better idea of just how hard it would be.surely there are some country's i'd do ok in?
I am only giving a generic version of my opinion as much depends on your individual circumstances, further struggle and luck too. But presently the job market is very competitive everywhere which demands talent, experience, qualification, expertise etc and without it unskilled/raw jobs have to do which are a lot still in UK. Anyhow there is no harm in trying to relocate and find something better, sometimes mobility/migration from one place to another brings productive results.
"Words build bridges into unexplored regions" Adolf Hitler