ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - British Citizen Based Abroad

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chursy

ILR - British Citizen Based Abroad

Post by chursy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi

I am a british citizen, based abroad . myself and my kids all have british passport.

Can someone please elaborate what options i have if i wanted to get a passort for my wife?

I have been informed that if a couple is based abroad for over 4 years, looking to move to UK, my spouse could potentially apply for a indefinite visa and hence would be able to apply for a passport after a year.

Appreciate if someone can explain the options for me that would be a quickest route to get the passport rather then getting a spouse visa and living in the UK for 5 years.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: ILR - British Citizen Based Abroad

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:32 pm

The '4 year' concession was withdrawn some time ago. The only route open to your wife for settlement as a spouse is 5 years. This is made up of initial entry visa for 2.5 years followed by an extension of 2.5 years applying for FLR(M). At the end of the 5 years she could then apply for ILR and assuming your marriage is subsisting, she would qualify for British Citizenship if all the standard requirements are met.
Bear in mind that visa fees have to be paid at each stage and you must be earning a minimum of £18,600 per annum. This means that if you intend to return together you'll need to have a confirmed job offer in the UK to start within 3 months of arrival and will need to have been earning the equivalent per annum in the country where you are currently resident. If not, you'd need savings of £64,000 or would have to come on ahead and be earning the pro-rata rate for 6 months before your wife would be able to apply for her spouse visa. Once your wife is resident in the UK her earnings would also be considered,
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.