ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Spain

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

neil4u
Newly Registered

Moving to Spain

Post by neil4u » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi

I am a British Citizen and would like to move to Spain to learn Spanish and also work. What is the process I will need to go through to get a student visa/work visa?

Thanks
Neil

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Moving to Spain

Post by Wanderer » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:08 pm

neil4u wrote:Hi

I am a British Citizen and would like to move to Spain to learn Spanish and also work. What is the process I will need to go through to get a student visa/work visa?

Thanks
Neil
Simple answer - none whatsoever. We're in the EU mate, free movement. You might have to register at the town hall or sth for tax purposes but not for three months or so.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:17 pm

Thanks
Neil
You don't need a visa. (unless it happens that you are a British citizen solely connected with the Isle of Man or Channel Islands).

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks
Neil
Have you not heard of the European Union? Or, better yet, of the x hundred thousand Brits living in Spain, buying all those Spanish properties without learning a lick of spanish (except "donde es la cerveza")? :roll: Maybe you thought you didn't need a visa only for short breaks...fair enough.

I suggest you take a look at the Spanish embassy in the UK website for more information - you don't need a visa at all, but you might need to register yourself with the local authorities or something.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:12 pm

Thanks
Neil
Good question. Most people do not know what their rights are. Read through the material at http://eumovement.wordpress.com/directive-200438ec/

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:36 pm

It's really odd that a British citizen would ask a question like this. You would think British people knew about the European Union.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Dawie wrote:It's really odd that a British citizen would ask a question like this. You would think British people knew about the European Union.
Hmm... the OP's question is surely just the sort of thing that this forum on these boards is for. Not everyone is au fait with immigration requirements - if everyone was, then there would be no need for a forum such as this.

So more power to the OP for asking the question and wanting to do something "outside the box", I say.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:08 pm

Christophe wrote:
Dawie wrote:It's really odd that a British citizen would ask a question like this. You would think British people knew about the European Union.
Hmm... the OP's question is surely just the sort of thing that this forum on these boards is for. Not everyone is au fait with immigration requirements - if everyone was, then there would be no need for a forum such as this.

So more power to the OP for asking the question and wanting to do something "outside the box", I say.
Is that so? I thought the Spanish Embassy's visa/migration section is where the OP's question should have been directed? If I wanted to visit Barbados, wouldn't I first check the Barbadian high commission website, before an immigration board?
Either way, we answered the OP's questions, but finding out about visa requirements is not so difficult to find on the respective government's website.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:13 pm

Christophe wrote:

Yes fair enough, but a British person asking if they need a visa to work in Spain is a bit like a Londoner asking if they need a visa to go and work in Edinburgh. The United Kingdom has been a member of the European Union since 1973 and Spain has been a member since 1986.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:22 pm

dawie, you'd be surprised at the people who have no idea about their rights as an EU citizen. Until my husband met me and we had to start looking into immigration topics, he knew that he could go to any EU country for vacation, but didn't know that he could also live and work in another member state. He knew he could do so in the UK (he's Irish) but assumed that was something between the two countries and not EU-wide lol. I've met may people that have no clue about any of it.

Something similar; I've heard many people where I live complain about the increasing Polish polulation here (which really isn't even very large IMO) and ask questions like "How come the government are giving so many Poles visas to come to the UK?" :roll:

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:23 pm

Dawie wrote: Yes fair enough, but a British person asking if they need a visa to work in Spain is a bit like a Londoner asking if they need a visa to go and work in Edinburgh. The United Kingdom has been a member of the European Union since 1973 and Spain has been a member since 1986.
Yes, that's true, but it's easy to forget that some people have no direct experience of immigrating to another country: indeed, there are people who do not travel overseas even for holidays.

Also, do we know that the original poster lives in the UK? He may be a British citizen who has never lived in the UK, or indeed has never even set foot in the UK - there are many such people around the world!

I still say, it's better to ask in advance and find the information out than find it out when it's too late. After all, how many people put posts on these boards saying something along the lines that they "didn't realise such-and-such and if they had known it at the time"... etc, etc?