ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent visa- within UK? or outside UK? Supporting docs?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blinkyboy
Newly Registered

Dependent visa- within UK? or outside UK? Supporting docs?

Post by blinkyboy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:45 am

I'm an Australian who has been residing in Europe for several years. My partner and I are immigrating to the UK. He is already there and I wish to join him. I can't figure out whether I can apply for my visa on the basis of our unmarried live in relationship from within the UK, or whether I must be outside the UK when I apply.

The information on the immigration website says you can't switch from a "visitor visa" to a dependent visa. Is the permission given to me to visit the UK as an Australian considered a "visitor visa"? That's what I can't figure out. It doesn't seem so, but I want to make absolutely sure.

Also, does anyone know, is it easier in terms of waiting times to apply for the visa from within the UK or from outside? When I phoned immigration they said I could be waiting 12 weeks to be approved, if I apply outside the UK. Is this kind of wait common?
Last edited by blinkyboy on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Re: Dependent visa- within UK? or outside UK

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:47 am

blinkyboy wrote:Is the permission given to me to visit the UK as an Australian considered a "visitor visa"?
Yes. It's leave to enter as a visitor. Unfortunately, Visitors cannot normally switch categories in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

blinkyboy
Newly Registered

Re: Dependent visa- within UK? or outside UK

Post by blinkyboy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:32 am

Thank you! Much appreciated. I also called the visa office and they said the same thing.

I can not find the required supporting docs for the Tier 1 exceptional talent visa where applying from outside the UK. Does anyone know where these are?

Also, I am trying to figure out what the waiting time will be for my visa to be decided. I booked an appointment, but have to wait half a month for the next available. Though online it states a decision will be made approximately 10 days after that I have received differing information about this from the Visa information service. I was once told about 3 weeks, once 15 days, and once 12 weeks. Does anyone know how long it will be approximately for an unmarried partner visa to be approved? Is there some kind of fast track service for this decision to be made quickly available at extra cost? I want to get to the UK as quickly as possible.