ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR-Degree Certificate vs UK NARIC

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ajaybabu007

ILR-Degree Certificate vs UK NARIC

Post by ajaybabu007 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:53 am

Hello All,

I'm in the process of gathering documents checklist preparation for ILR (Tier 2 ICT visa) which is due in next month;

I did my bachelor's degree (in English Standards) from JNTU, Andhra Pradesh,India. However in Original Degree certificate; it didn't specify that course is taught in English.

I already proved myself in my previous applications through PBS system(1st Initial Tier ICT 2 Application in India + 2nd Extension Tier 2 ICT Application in UK)

Do I need to get UK NARIC equivalent certificate for meeting B1 ESOL standards?

Can you please let me know on this?

--Cheers

sky2020

Re: ILR-Degree Certificate vs UK NARIC

Post by sky2020 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:09 am

No need for NARIC if you have already proved. But you need to show your Degree appearing in PBS points calculator and giving you points for degree and for English + University Medium of instruction letter.

S

pdss
Newly Registered

Post by pdss » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:43 am

ajaybabu007 wrote:Hello All,

I'm in the process of gathering documents checklist preparation for ILR (Tier 2 ICT visa) which is due in next month;

I did my bachelor's degree (in English Standards) from JNTU, Andhra Pradesh,India. However in Original Degree certificate; it didn't specify that course is taught in English.

I already proved myself in my previous applications through PBS system(1st Initial Tier ICT 2 Application in India + 2nd Extension Tier 2 ICT Application in UK)

Do I need to get UK NARIC equivalent certificate for meeting B1 ESOL standards?

Can you please let me know on this?

--Cheers
Hi Ajay,

Are you applying ILR with ICT .. if so am also on the same track. When you are planning to apply. Can you please mail me to pdssprasad@gmail.com so that we can discuss

ajaybabu007

Post by ajaybabu007 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks for your reply. Below link doesn't have degree requirement anymore in PBS calculator?

https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... ment.faces

Appreciate your support on this please..

chowkal

Post by chowkal » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Better get a NARIC it is always good to play it safe !

ajaybabu007

Post by ajaybabu007 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:29 pm

Amber_, Susdmetha;; Can you please provide your valuables inputs?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:00 pm

If the degree is awarded 30 points for qualification and 10 for English Skills then that would suffice B1 English.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ajaybabu007

Post by ajaybabu007 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Amber,

Thanks for the response. PBS assessment calculator for English Skills (Degree certificate) is only available and applicable for Tier 2 General/ICT who are applying visa outside UK. However the same calculator is not applicable who are applying within UK (possibly a bug with UKBA site).

How do I keep degree certificate as an evidence? I presume that we need to go UK NARIC certificate for this original degree certificate.. Can you please clarify and confirm?

Cheers,
Aj

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:17 am

Just put it in as your applying wherever, it doesn't matter so long as points are awarded.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Agastya80

Post by Agastya80 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi Ajay
Thanks for your post. I'm also in a similar situation(Tier 2 General) with regard to points for degree from India and English language. Please would you share what you did in the end for degree comparability and English language?

Kind regards
ajaybabu007 wrote:Hi Amber,

Thanks for the response. PBS assessment calculator for English Skills (Degree certificate) is only available and applicable for Tier 2 General/ICT who are applying visa outside UK. However the same calculator is not applicable who are applying within UK (possibly a bug with UKBA site).

How do I keep degree certificate as an evidence? I presume that we need to go UK NARIC certificate for this original degree certificate.. Can you please clarify and confirm?

Cheers,
Aj
Thanks!

Subbs
Newly Registered

Post by Subbs » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 pm

hi Guys

I am on same boat as you guys . Could you please tell me what you did for this?

help will be really appreciate.

thanks in advance.

Regards,
Subbu

Agastya80

Post by Agastya80 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Subbu, I used PBS calc printout and university letter for English
Subbs wrote:hi Guys

I am on same boat as you guys . Could you please tell me what you did for this?

help will be really appreciate.

thanks in advance.

Regards,
Subbu
Thanks!

Subbs
Newly Registered

Post by Subbs » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:49 pm

thanks Agastya..few mins back i got an email from homeoffice confirming same. we can use TEIR1 General PBS calcualtor

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey,

What did you enter as 'date of initial application' for Tier 1.
I came on Tier 2 in 2009. If I enter 2009, it doesn't award me any points. If I enter 2012, I get 30 points ?

A bit weird. Any comments

Subbs
Newly Registered

Post by Subbs » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:03 pm

This is as per the doc sent by home office

7. How do I show that I have points for my degree and points for English?
If you want to use the calculator to show that you meet the KOLL requirement, you should access the calculator as a Tier 1 (General) migrant. If your qualification compares to a UK degree it will be awarded at least 20 points, and 10 additional points if it was taught in English,

I think date should not be a problem. But I will leave expert to comment on that

Regards,
Subbu

Agastya80

Post by Agastya80 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:31 pm

I had the same issue and queried it with the KOLL Homeoffice and they confirmed that dates do not matter as it is for comparability of qualification and you can choose any date. for your info...between April 2009 to April 2010 Tier1 General applicants were not awarded any points for Bachelor's degree...this rule was changed later but in the PBS calculator it is still shows. Therefore for the purpose of getting points on PBS calc for your degree use dates outside this period.
good luck
eddybaloch wrote:Hey,

What did you enter as 'date of initial application' for Tier 1.
I came on Tier 2 in 2009. If I enter 2009, it doesn't award me any points. If I enter 2012, I get 30 points ?

A bit weird. Any comments
Thanks!

tvnaveen78
Newly Registered

Post by tvnaveen78 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:07 pm

hi i know that this topic is different to what i am querying but thought of raising it. i am going to apply for naturalisation and i have got a concern with my name on degree certificates. i have got the surname initials and firstname it doesn,t have my full surname. can i use this for the english eligibility criterua as i hav checked and my degree is being awarded with points on ukba site.will the name mismstch cause a problem.
my name is t.v.naveen kumar on the degree and full name is tichunapalli vinod naveen kumar on passport.
please your suggestion would be really appreciated.
thx
naveen

p34g
Newly Registered

Post by p34g » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:37 pm

Hi Naveen,

My spouse has a similar issue with the name on the degree certificate - the degree certificate mentions the initials, whereas her official documents (passport, BRP etc) have only her first and last names. We were planning to use her degree certificate as evidence of knowledge of English.

How did you deal with this?

Seniors on the boards, would appreciate your inputs on this as well. Are such minor issues with spellings overlooked?

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:57 am

It won't be a problem, if degree does not contain surname fully (initial good enough) so you can use them.
I am sharing this from my experience at PEO.

p34g
Newly Registered

Post by p34g » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks Macro_Run, appreciate your response.

Did you provide any affidavit / notary letter at all or was it accepted without these?
Macro_Run wrote:It won't be a problem, if degree does not contain surname fully (initial good enough) so you can use them.
I am sharing this from my experience at PEO.
In my wife's case the situation is as follows:

Wife's name on degree certificate - <First Name> <Father's Initial> <Second Name> e.g. Jane A. Smith
Wife's name on passport and other docs - <First Name> <Second Name> e.g. Jane Smith

Was your case similar? Do you think, from your experience, this should also be accepted?

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:02 am

I had submitted the notary letter when I applied an EC visa outside UK.
After that I did not submit the notary letter for my 1st extension,2nd extension and ILR also here in UK.
Generally, the female's surname will be changed after the marriage.(So the case worker may understand that).
Have a notary letter for safer side if you worry about that.

p34g
Newly Registered

Post by p34g » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:33 am

thanks Macrorun