ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

want to work in the uk legally.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: want to work in the uk legally.

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Yes but let's be clear. You do intend to marry while you're on your Marriage Visit Visa? If you marry and then return to the US your wife will still have to meet the minimum financial level of £18,600 per annum for you to qualify for a Spouse Visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:24 pm

Casa wrote:Yes but let's be clear. You do intend to marry while you're on your Marriage Visit Visa? If you marry and then return to the US your wife will still have to meet the minimum financial level of £18,600 per annum for you to qualify for a Spouse Visa.
Yes i would intent to marry while on my marriage visit visa.. but i'm still a little confused about the apply to remain in the UK with family because it DOES say "Apply to extend or switch to a 'family of a settled person visa' to remain in the UK with your partner (eg spouse) or child – eligibility, documents required, how to apply and how to extend your stay" so couldn't i just stay with her family?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:27 pm

michaelionheart wrote:
Casa wrote:Yes but let's be clear. You do intend to marry while you're on your Marriage Visit Visa? If you marry and then return to the US your wife will still have to meet the minimum financial level of £18,600 per annum for you to qualify for a Spouse Visa.
Yes i would intent to marry while on my marriage visit visa.. but i'm still a little confused about the apply to remain in the UK with family because it DOES say "Apply to extend or switch to a 'family of a settled person visa' to remain in the UK with your partner (eg spouse) or child – eligibility, documents required, how to apply and how to extend your stay" so couldn't i just stay with her family?
It is possible to switch to that visa from certain other visa types and with certain conditions met. But it is impossible to switch to that visa type (or to any other visa type) from a visitor visa, including a Family Visitor visa or a Marriage Visitor visa, as well as the standard visitor's visa.
Last edited by ouflak1 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:32 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
michaelionheart wrote:
It is possible to switch to this visa from certain other visa types and with certain conditions met. But it is impossible to switch to that visa type (or to any other visa type) from a visitor visa, including a Family Visitor visa or a Marriage Visitor visa, as well as the standard visitor's visa.
No but i'm saying why can't i apply for this visa?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:37 pm

michaelionheart wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:
michaelionheart wrote:
It is possible to switch to this visa from certain other visa types and with certain conditions met. But it is impossible to switch to that visa type (or to any other visa type) from a visitor visa, including a Family Visitor visa or a Marriage Visitor visa, as well as the standard visitor's visa.
No but i'm saying why can't i apply for this visa?
If we are talking about the same visa, you can only apply for that visa from within the UK.

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Hmm.. ok.. what about the erm.. JOINING a family?
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:52 pm

michaelionheart wrote:Hmm.. ok.. what about the erm.. JOINING a family?
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk
That visa is a temporary by nature. You wouldn't be allowed to work. And if you did want to extend, you'd better have a pretty darn good reason (typically, emergency medical conditions are allowed for such an extension). Plus, there is also the fact that this visa really doesn't apply to you. You'd want to come live with your wife, as husband and wife. It's simply the wrong application for that circumstance.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:01 pm

You can apply but it would be refused because you would be in the UK as a visitor and not a Fiancé

Page 12:
Immigration status requirements
E-LTRP.2.1. The applicant must not be in the UK-
(a) as a visitor;
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... dix_FM.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... tion-rules

Also, from what you tell us your spouse would not meet the financial requirements. Her parent(s) would not be able to sponsor you easily, I'm talking here you live in such circumstances that your one room hovel with no roof, electricity or running water has effected you so much that you allow the rats sharing your living space to gnaw on your gangrenous stumps because at least that way you can catch them in your mouth as a meal. You live like this because the only alternative is to be a sex slave for the local warlord. Your money for food is running out since you sold your kidney for case and your neighbours stole that money anyway. You have no family in your home country and there are no services to help you. You cannot get yourself to the Western Union office to pick up the cash from your in-laws because you only have stumps and no wheelchair or prosthetics PLUS the local hoodlums force you to play Russian roulette to just be allowed to leave the house. I'm not kidding here, in fact your living conditions would probably have to be worse.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:11 pm

If you apply for a Join Family Visa it will be refused and you will lose the £885 application fee.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:13 pm

ok here.. i'll tell you guys the "plan" and see if this works out lol. how about this.. i apply for the Marriage Visit visa. go there and within the 6 months we get married.. i then come back to the us and apply for the join family living permanently in the UK.. does that work or..?

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Casa wrote:If you apply for a Join Family Visa it will be refused and you will lose the £885 application fee.
why would i be refused? i would be IN the us, we would be married and we would have fulfilled us meeting.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:19 pm

michaelionheart wrote:ok here.. i'll tell you guys the "plan" and see if this works out lol. how about this.. i apply for the Marriage Visit visa. go there and within the 6 months we get married.. i then come back to the us and apply for the join family living permanently in the UK.. does that work or..?
michaelionheart wrote:
Casa wrote:If you apply for a Join Family Visa it will be refused and you will lose the £885 application fee.
why would i be refused? i would be IN the us, we would be married and we would have fulfilled us meeting.
And I repeat:

That visa is a temporary by nature. You wouldn't be allowed to work. And if you did want to extend, you'd better have a pretty darn good reason (typically, emergency medical conditions are allowed for such an extension). Plus, there is also the fact that this visa really doesn't apply to you. You'd want to come live with your wife, as husband and wife. It's simply the wrong application for that circumstance.
Last edited by ouflak1 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:20 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
michaelionheart wrote:ok here.. i'll tell you guys the "plan" and see if this works out lol. how about this.. i apply for the Marriage Visit visa. go there and within the 6 months we get married.. i then come back to the us and apply for the join family living permanently in the UK.. does that work or..?
And I repeat:

Ok then point me towards the RIGHT visa to WHERE i can stay/live permanently and be able to work.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Because as you've already been advised (and very graphically by Paperpusher) you don't meet the extreme circumstance for applying for this category of visa. You would have to apply for a spouse visa and meet the financial minimum earnings. Don't you think if it was that simple all spouses would by-pass the spouse visa and apply for a Join Family visa? If you're confident your application will succeed, go against the advice you've been given, apply for the visa and gamble your £885.00
(Casa, not CR001)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:26 pm

You've been told that many times throughout this thread what you options are. Apply for a marriage visit visa, marry in the UK within 6 months, return to the US and assuming you meet all the conditions including finances, apply for a spouse visa on form VAF4a.
You don't qualify for a work visa (you don't have the skills)
You don't qualify for a fiance visa (you haven't met and your girlfriend doesn't earn sufficient)
You don't quality for a student visa (due to lack of funds)
(Casa, not CR001)

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Casa wrote:Because as you've already been advised (and very graphically by Paperpusher) you don't meet the extreme circumstance for applying for this category of visa. You would have to apply for a spouse visa and meet the financial minimum earnings. Don't you think if it was that simple all spouses would by-pass the spouse visa and apply for a Join Family visa? If you're confident your application will succeed, go against the advice you've been given, apply for the visa and gamble your £885.00
Can you send me a link to this spouse visa please?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:32 pm

(Casa, not CR001)

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:41 pm

Hmm.. that's weird though.. it just says it's a family settlement form.. so that's the spouse visa though?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Yes. If you read through the questions you'll see that it refers to a spouse/fiance/civil partner + any children
(Casa, not CR001)

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:52 pm

Casa wrote:Yes. If you read through the questions you'll see that it refers to a spouse + any children
Ohhh ok ok i see.. ok and the finances.. i would have to prove that i am making £18,600 when i am working over there?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:58 pm

michaelionheart wrote:
Casa wrote:Yes. If you read through the questions you'll see that it refers to a spouse + any children
Ohhh ok ok i see.. ok and the finances.. i would have to prove that i am making £18,600 when i am working over there?
No. She would. You might want to just read through the app and the accompanying notes. You're posting your thoughts as they occur and it's confusing you.

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:02 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
michaelionheart wrote:
No. She would. You might want to just read through the app and the accompanying notes. Your posting your thoughts as they occur and it's confusing you.
Yeah just UGH.. this is all new to me and it's just really confusing but i am appreciating ALL of your help and i'm sorry if i've been a real pain in the mule lol

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:44 pm

Just got done talking to some middleman and apparently i DO have to go meet her BEFORE applying for the Marriage Visitor visa.. can someone clear this up for me?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:57 pm

michaelionheart wrote:Just got done talking to some middleman and apparently i DO have to go meet her BEFORE applying for the Marriage Visitor visa.. can someone clear this up for me?
Well, the middlemen here would beg to differ. The story behind the creation of the Marriage Visitor visa is an interesting one having to do with tourism, a loophole in the UK marriage laws regarding residency of the participants, and weird long-since-passed fad among certain Asian countries of wanting to get married in a Scottish castle. But that's perhaps off-topic. The point is that in its original incarnation, a couple would come to the UK for a week, do some tourism, get married in a Scottish castle, do some more tourism, and go on back home with some nice photos. Having these people prove that they had previously met wasn't even considered, as normally the couples were traveling together on the same flight to the same accommodations anyway.

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:02 pm

UGH i just don't even know who's answer is correct now.. SURELY it would be under eligibility?
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/eligibility