ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

want to work in the uk legally.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: want to work in the uk legally.

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Yes as per my post but this may take several months unless you apply for FLR(M) (a spouse visa...you call a marriage visa) in person for a premium fee of an additional £400 making it over £1,000 (in addition to the Fiance visa fee). Do you and your girlfriend have the funds for these visas?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:00 pm

michaelionheart wrote: Yes but what i am saying is can't i switch to just the MARRIAGE visa from my Fiance visa? it says i can do that on the bottom of the Fiance visa page. "You should apply for a marriage visa from within the UK when you are married, and will then be eligible to work freely in the UK. " http://www.workpermit.com/uk/fiance.htm
They mean Spouse visa, not Marriage Visitor visa. Sorry about the confusion. They still have a few kinks to work out in their documentation.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Casa wrote:Yes as per my post but this may take several months unless you apply for FLR(M) (a spouse visa...you call a marriage visa) in person for a premium fee of an additional £400 making it over £1,000 (in addition to the Fiance visa fee). Do you and your girlfriend have the funds for these visas?
He's already said she doesn't work so unless she has $100,000 in savings the whole thing is academical.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:13 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Casa wrote:Yes as per my post but this may take several months unless you apply for FLR(M) (a spouse visa...you call a marriage visa) in person for a premium fee of an additional £400 making it over £1,000 (in addition to the Fiance visa fee). Do you and your girlfriend have the funds for these visas?
He's already said she doesn't work so unless she has $100,000 in savings the whole thing is academical.....
But he's also said she is perfectly fit and capable of working. I stand by my earlier recommendation. And that is not academic. It is entirely doable and realistic.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Michaelionheart

When you first posted it was about working in the UK, then living with your girlfriend, then asking about being sponsored by your girlfriend's family, then spouse. Marriage wasn't on the cards initially.

If you don't, between you both, have the funds for a spouse visa for now, why not just take a step back and just visit the UK as a tourist and visitor to stay with your girlfriend and her family. Once you have come to the UK as a marriage visitor that sticker will be in your passport and on the system. It could make it harder to come to the UK as a visitor subsequently.

If you both don't have the funds you will be doing the LDR thing until you do, or going down another route which could involve relocating to another country and setting up there for a while.

You never answered my questions about your level of education and the job you do now. US citizens can get loans to study in the UK. A higher qualification can only help your future job prospects.

Consider something like BUNAC, you'll get to live in the UK and work, and that gives you a bit of breathing space. In addition your earnings can be taken in to account. The same with part time earnings as a student.

You aren't the first person to meet up online and then want to move in to a real life relationship, but there is no specific route to accommodate this and never has been.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:21 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
But he's also said she is perfectly fit and capable of working. I stand by my earlier recommendation. And that is not academic. It is entirely doable and realistic.
I entirely agree and saw your post. It's the practical way forward for the OP. Just the OP doesn't seem to want to consider that option...

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:22 pm

Ok.. i'm just a little confused here guys so BARE with me please lol.. i'm getting like multiple answers so let me just ask this.. what are the pros and cons of getting a Fiance visa AND a Marriage Visitor visa.. i'm trying to see which one is BEST for me

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:26 pm

michaelionheart wrote:Ok.. i'm just a little confused here guys so BARE with me please lol.. i'm getting like multiple answers so let me just ask this.. what are the pros and cons of getting a Fiance visa AND a Marriage Visitor visa.. i'm trying to see which one is BEST for me
I stand by my earlier recommendation. I, and others, have explained these visa types already in this thread. I'm fairly certain we understand your situation perfectly, even if we don't all agree on a few points. You can reread the posts. You've already found the online descriptions from the UK government itself.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:30 pm

michaelionheart wrote:Ok.. i'm just a little confused here guys so BARE with me please lol.. i'm getting like multiple answers so let me just ask this.. what are the pros and cons of getting a Fiance visa AND a Marriage Visitor visa.. i'm trying to see which one is BEST for me
At the moment your ONLY option if you want to marry is the Marriage Visit Visa, marry, return home to US and plan.........

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Alright guys, i understand. i will talk to the girlfriend about it later on today. Thanks for all the help guys and sorry for the trouble.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:37 pm

Best for us I think you mean!!

Seriously, just visit each other, even just once, enjoy your relationship without having to worry about what visa to apply for next.

You may hate the UK! She may love the US!

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:38 pm

Wanderer wrote:
At the moment your ONLY option if you want to marry is the Marriage Visit Visa, marry, return home to US and plan.........
And even here, I would take some time and build up my resources a bit. For them to issue you this visa, they are going to expect clear and obvious intention that either you will later come back and immigrate to the UK, or that she will permanently immigrate the U.S. Or they expect clear evidence why neither can't and won't happen soon. Not being able to afford those subsequent immigration costs (either way) will kill your chances of getting this initial visa. They aren't issuing this visa trivially. It would be different if you were both non-residents, but since she is resident here, something has got to be shown in this regard.
Last edited by ouflak1 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:39 pm

PaperPusher wrote:

Seriously, just visit each other, even just once, enjoy your relationship without having to worry about what visa to apply for next.

And not to put a damper on it, you may hate each other on sight, or there be no physical chemistry - believe me it happens a lot, I've been in involved in the online dating game in the past for my sins.....

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Wanderer wrote:
PaperPusher wrote:

And not to put a damper on it, you may hate each other on sight, or there be no physical chemistry - believe me it happens a lot, I've been in involved in the online dating game in the past for my sins.....
Yeah i guess i can understand that for SOME couples but to be fair.. me and Kirsty (my GIRLFRIEND-future wife) have been talking CONSTANTLY over skype for 3 years now (cam and mic) it may not sound a lot but 3 years is 3 years.. you don't know the stuff we've been through.. but we BOTH feel exactly the same for each other.. even though we have NEVER met before irl.. i know she's the love of my life, and i know i want to spend the rest of my life with her.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:52 pm

michaelionheart wrote:Yeah i guess i can understand that for SOME couples but to be fair.. me and Kirsty (my GIRLFRIEND-future wife) have been talking CONSTANTLY over skype for 3 years now (cam and mic) it may not sound a lot but 3 years is 3 years.. you don't know the stuff we've been through.. but we BOTH feel exactly the same for each other.. even though we have NEVER met before irl.. i know she's the love of my life, and i know i want to spend the rest of my life with her.
If this is true, and you are truly fated to be together, then there is nothing that will stop you from being together if you both put the effort into it. Not the U.S. government, not the UK government, not anybody. It won't be easy, but you will find a way.

I reiterate my earlier recommendation.
Last edited by ouflak1 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:57 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
michaelionheart wrote:Yeah i guess i can understand that for SOME couples but to be fair.. me and Kirsty (my GIRLFRIEND-future wife) have been talking CONSTANTLY over skype for 3 years now (cam and mic) it may not sound a lot but 3 years is 3 years.. you don't know the stuff we've been through.. but we BOTH feel exactly the same for each other.. even though we have NEVER met before irl.. i know she's the love of my life, and i know i want to spend the rest of my life with her.
If this true, and you are truly fated to be together, then there is nothing that will stop you from being together if you both put the effort into it. Not the U.S. government, not the UK government, not anybody. It won't be easy, but you will find a way.

I reiterate my earlier recommendation.
The girlfriend and i just wanted to say thanks and we'll take your specific recommendation into account.

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Ok i have a random question lol.. sorry to keep bothering you guys but.. how come the fiance visa isn't shown on the gov.uk site? where they show the rest of the other visa's.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:53 pm

You need to read through the links I sent you previously. The fiance visa is included;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... /VAF4A.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... endix2.pdf

YOU SHOULD COMPLETE THIS FORM IF YOU WISH TO COME TO THE UK AS:
• The spouse or civil partner of someone settled in the UK; or
• The child of a parent who is applying for entry clearance as a partner or the child who is applying to join their parent who is already in the UK and has been granted limited leave as partner granted under the Immigration Rules in force on 09 July 2012; or
The fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of someone settled in the UK; or
• The unmarried or same sex partner of someone settled in the UK; or
• The Post Flight family member (spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner, fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner) of someone
with limited leave to enter or remain in the UK as refugee or is the beneficiary of humanitarian protection; or
• The Post Flight family member (spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner, fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner or child) of
someone with limited leave to enter or remain in the UK as a refugee or is the beneficiary of humanitarian protection
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

bob-russell

Post by bob-russell » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:02 pm

There is one other possibility but it will not allow you to work. You are able to visit the UK (not work) on a visit visa (or visa waiver) and if you then decide you wish to marry during the visit this is now acceptable. It will not change the fact that you are still on a visit visa and would not be able to settle without returning home and jumping through the hoops described very accurately in the many posts above.

if the Immigration Officer suspects the main purpose of your visit is to get married then you are potentially in trouble and facing a near immediate trip home. If you decide once here that you hit it off there is nothing to stop you marrying as long as the Registrar is satisfied it is a genuine marriage. It used to be a requirement that you obtained a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office before marriage. This is not the case now.

Do not play games with the UK immigration process, there are few or no loopholes and falling foul of the rules will cost you a lot of money and make future dealings with the UKVI a potential minefield.

Working on a visit visa will get your employer a £10K fine and you would be leaving the UK faster than Concorde did!

There has been some extremely reliable advice given here. Ignore it at your peril!

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:15 pm

bob-russell wrote:There is one other possibility but it will not allow you to work. You are able to visit the UK (not work) on a visit visa (or visa waiver) and if you then decide you wish to marry during the visit this is now acceptable. It will not change the fact that you are still on a visit visa and would not be able to settle without returning home and jumping through the hoops described very accurately in the many posts above.

if the Immigration Officer suspects the main purpose of your visit is to get married then you are potentially in trouble and facing a near immediate trip home. If you decide once here that you hit it off there is nothing to stop you marrying as long as the Registrar is satisfied it is a genuine marriage. It used to be a requirement that you obtained a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office before marriage. This is not the case now.

Do not play games with the UK immigration process, there are few or no loopholes and falling foul of the rules will cost you a lot of money and make future dealings with the UKVI a potential minefield.

Working on a visit visa will get your employer a £10K fine and you would be leaving the UK faster than Concorde did!

There has been some extremely reliable advice given here. Ignore it at your peril!
I don't see what the purpose of doing that would be though.. wouldn't i just be better off applying for the Marriage Visitor visa?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:18 pm

michaelionheart wrote:
bob-russell wrote:There is one other possibility but it will not allow you to work. You are able to visit the UK (not work) on a visit visa (or visa waiver) and if you then decide you wish to marry during the visit this is now acceptable. It will not change the fact that you are still on a visit visa and would not be able to settle without returning home and jumping through the hoops described very accurately in the many posts above.

I don't see what the purpose of doing that would be though.. wouldn't i just be better off applying for the Marriage Visitor visa?
Cheaper I think, visit (waivered) visa is free, and isn't the Marriage Visit Visa £585?

michaelionheart

Post by michaelionheart » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Hmm.. where are you getting £585 from? on the site it says you can apply for £83.
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:49 pm

michaelionheart wrote:Hmm.. where are you getting £585 from? on the site it says you can apply for £83.
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa
Dunno! Thought I read it back thread. I'd check back but I fear I might lose the will to live lol!!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:00 pm

You and me both Wanderer :?
(Casa, not CR001)

bob-russell

Post by bob-russell » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:06 pm

When my wife applied for one, it was the same cost as a standard visit visa.

This thread has gone round in circles so I reiterate for the benefit of the OP, there are no short cuts, no converting visit visas in country, no way round the income requirements nor ways round the cost of a settlement visa.

I doubt a marriage visit visa would be forthcoming without evidence of marriage plans and even if there is nothing in the rules to stop a marriage between people that have not met, I would bet money that the application would be rejected!