ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dependant to T2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

thunderera

dependant to T2

Post by thunderera » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi,
My friends wife is studying here and my friend is working as a chef in a Chinese restaurant. There are a few hotels interested in recruiting him. Can you please let me know if there is a path for getting a work permit while on dependant of a student?

Regards,

manci
Respected Guru

Re: dependant to T2

Post by manci » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:05 pm

if your friend is a PBS dependant there are no immigration restriction on him working as a chef, indeed it seems that he is doing so already. He is also free to switch employers.

thunderera

Post by thunderera » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:35 pm

No my friend is dependent on his wife who is on student visa. He is currently working as a chef and wants to know if he can apply for in country T2 work permit.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:01 pm

your friend is a PBS dependant and doesn't need a permit to work.
If he wants to become a T2G migrant he will first of all need a restricted CoS, which will involve the sponsor doing an RLMT beforehand, then he will have to apply from his home country. Also, the job has to be at NQF level 6 and he will need to be paid a salary appropriate to the job SOC code, or £20,500, whichever the higher

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:43 pm

manci wrote:your friend is a PBS dependant and doesn't need a permit to work.
If he wants to become a T2G migrant he will first of all need a restricted CoS, which will involve the sponsor doing an RLMT beforehand, then he will have to apply from his home country. Also, the job has to be at NQF level 6 and he will need to be paid a salary appropriate to the job SOC code, or £20,500, whichever the higher
Tier 4 dependant partners can switch inside the UK - still need a Restricted CoS though.

Also, for a Chef the minimum salary is (from memory) £29,570. Search 'Appendix K' on the gov.uk website to check the exact figure.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:02 am

Jeeves is right, I overlooked that your friend's wife is on a student (T4) visa. Your friend is eligible to switch to T2G in-country but will need a restricted CoS. Also, if his job is on the shortage occupation list an RLMT will not be required.