ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligible for unmarried partner status - any advice?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rhubbie
Newly Registered

Eligible for unmarried partner status - any advice?

Post by rhubbie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi there - I have been refused my HSMP application on a technicality and a lawyer told me I may be able to try this route -

I am an American citizen and my boyfriend is from the Republic of Ireland. We've met in Glasgow and have been together since December 2006 but haven't been able to live together here in Glasgow due to lease obligations. The lawyer said if I go back to America and wait 3-6 months, I could apply for a family dependant EEA visa to come back to Glasgow and live with him. She wasn't sure, though. From the forms, though, it looks as if I have to be married to him or have been with him a lot longer and living with him. We spend all our time together and we're making plans for him to come visit me after I leave, and me to come back to visit at New Year's - any idea if I'd be eligible?

We've also discussed getting married but I've read that it would be best to get married outside of the EU to make things easier - any suggestions?

Thanks everyone

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Eligible for unmarried partner status - any advice?

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:49 pm

rhubbie wrote:Hi there - I have been refused my HSMP application on a technicality and a lawyer told me I may be able to try this route -

I am an American citizen and my boyfriend is from the Republic of Ireland. We've met in Glasgow and have been together since December 2006 but haven't been able to live together here in Glasgow due to lease obligations. The lawyer said if I go back to America and wait 3-6 months, I could apply for a family dependant EEA visa to come back to Glasgow and live with him. She wasn't sure, though. From the forms, though, it looks as if I have to be married to him or have been with him a lot longer and living with him. We spend all our time together and we're making plans for him to come visit me after I leave, and me to come back to visit at New Year's - any idea if I'd be eligible?

We've also discussed getting married but I've read that it would be best to get married outside of the EU to make things easier - any suggestions?

Thanks everyone
You need 2 full years of co-habitation akin to marriage to qualify for the EEA permit as an unmarried partner. Anything shorter and your application would most likely be refused. This is the same for the UK immigration's own unmarried partner visa.

Getting married - I don't think it's any 'easier' if it's done outside the EU. You just need to apply for a fiancee visa to marry here. Visit the British Embassy in the US for details of the fiancee visa, or search this board (maybe try the 'US immigration' section).

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:34 pm

What was the technicality as it might be easier to reapply for HSMP